Hi-Vac Series 19 - walking speed increases on its own - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Hi-Vac Series 19 - walking speed increases on its own

Hello all. 3 years ago, I bought a nice 2007 Hi-Vac Series 19 walk-behind bagger. It's great, and I was even able to carry forward the Thatcherizer attachment that I had bought used, back in the 90's. But as I walk along in self-propelled mode, the driven disc tends to walk itself out from the center and increase the speed, so I often have to pull the speed control handle back down. I have a small yard, so a lot of walking paths that are not very long, so I often like a slow walking speed.
I guess I have to introduce some resistance into the lever / speed control rod / hex shaft that controls the driven wheel, to keep the wheel from floating out from the center of the drive disc. Shortly after I picked up the mover, I replaced the small ball joint at the bottom of the speed control rod (part # 7015753), which improved the feel of the speed control adjustment, but might have made this a little more noticeable. It's as if the chewed-up old ball joint might have been some resistance against the driven wheel floating out.
But a chewed-up part is not the right way to regulate this, so has anyone run into this with these Snappers, and would you share what worked for you? Thanks.

Last edited by tomlct; 07-31-2020 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Mis-spelled word in title of thread and in edit comment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlct View Post
Hello all. 3 years ago, I bought a nice 2007 Hi-Vac Series 19 walk-behind bagger. It's great, and I was even able to carry forward the Thatcherizer attachment that I had bought used, back in the 90's. But as I walk along in self-propelled mode, the driven disc tends to walk itself out from the center and increase the speed, so I often have to pull the speed control handle back down.
I recently had a Snapper Ninja Mulching Convertible do this, right after I replaced the friction wheel/drive disc/2 associated bearings. It drove me BANANAS.

I ended up backtracing my steps and I removed the newly installed drive disc and friction wheel, then I installed the pieces back together. Something must have been out of alignment (my best guess would be the spacer under the drive disc), because the issue was no longer present after reassembly.

1988 Toro 20622
1992 JD 14SB
1993 Snapper RP21400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page