Blade Sticks On Deck - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Blade Sticks On Deck

Ive just finished servicing my rear engine rider, installing new boots, changing the gas filter and lines, new oil, and throttle plate. After starting, the blade new blade locked against the deck and cooked the belt.

After installing the belt, I noticed the blade hits the deck on one side and not the other. I swapped the blade around, checked carefully what I could and have come to the conclusion that my deck is warped.

Iíve had a couple mishaps that may have been capable of doing this... but the blade rides 3/4 in higher on one side and locks mid way on the opposite sideís deck bottom.

Any repair recommendations short of deck replacement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 03:35 AM

you could try to straighten the deck to the point where the blade wouldn't hit,,,might be a tough thing to do..deck replacement is probably the way to go if its bent up that much
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Could you post a pic or two? Spindle on deck area could be bent or side of deck.

Like us on Facebook!
Guaranteed not to Rust, Bust, Collect Dust, Chip, Peel or Leak at the Seal!
I have to go, Frank and Mike are at the gate.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlfish View Post
Ive just finished servicing my rear engine rider, installing new boots, changing the gas filter and lines, new oil, and throttle plate. After starting, the blade new blade locked against the deck and cooked the belt.

After installing the belt, I noticed the blade hits the deck on one side and not the other. I swapped the blade around, checked carefully what I could and have come to the conclusion that my deck is warped.

I’ve had a couple mishaps that may have been capable of doing this... but the blade rides 3/4 in higher on one side and locks mid way on the opposite side’s deck bottom.

Any repair recommendations short of deck replacement?
if its bent that bad then a new deck is your only option if you care about it cutting the grass straight and even, if not then put the old blade back on it and use it to bend it back straight again

what happened is the round center hole where the spindle is has been bent by the thing you hit. if you take your time and work it you can most likely bent it back pretty close to straight again

that said, are you 100% sure nothing is broken in that spindle area? for it to be bent as bad as you say i find it near impossible to believe there isnt a lot more damage under there then you know about

i would search for another snapper with a bad engine and put your engine on it or use that complete deck assemble to swap out with your mower, i have a feeling yours will be nothing but trouble unless you completely replace the entire deck as a complete assembly

You can only learn if you ask the question, so there are no dumb questions.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2020, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Spindle and deck troubleshooting

Thanks for replies. Spent Saturday taking it apart and getting pictures. If the deck is bent in juxtaposition to the spindle, I canít see it, but it must be so. The spindle is hard to rotate, but Icant find a wobble. Hand turning the pulley doesnít seem to make it **** at an angle. The drive belt and pulley is a bit out of alignment to the blade pulley. Canít see a warp in the deck. Took a bunch of pics. Going to tube to see how to get spindle off... friend said it was easy to drop the deck from bottom ... not!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7243C8D6-0B72-4A99-82C1-998BCD8D23E2.jpeg (1.92 MB, 4 views)
File Type: jpeg 9F479D61-EC64-4E67-9B05-0F667E0DC4BA.jpeg (2.62 MB, 2 views)
File Type: jpeg 030CC6EA-C833-4034-9BBC-7600219F8F26.jpeg (2.07 MB, 3 views)
File Type: jpeg 9F48F496-2C23-4629-8D49-D77860F413FC.jpeg (2.51 MB, 2 views)
File Type: jpeg 97648740-7E45-4531-AA94-D828DEAF8477.jpeg (3.05 MB, 1 views)
File Type: jpeg 85F2DC36-E0DB-419D-AE44-D89D0A436F86.jpeg (1.71 MB, 4 views)
File Type: jpeg 703C9BAE-AE7C-4023-A795-C744255792F6.jpeg (2.00 MB, 1 views)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Thanks for replies. Spent Saturday taking it apart and getting pictures. If the deck is bent in juxtaposition to the spindle, I can’t see it, but it must be so. The spindle is hard to rotate, but Icant find a wobble. Hand turning the pulley doesn’t seem to make it **** at an angle. The drive belt and pulley is a bit out of alignment to the blade pulley. Can’t see a warp in the deck. Took a bunch of pics. Going to tube to see how to get spindle off... friend said it was easy to drop the deck from bottom ... not!
what you want to do is take measurement from a fixed ground position then measure both ends of the blade after making sure the blade t mounting assembly is straight and level and the blade itself is straight and level

then measure again on the opposite side of the deck and see if the blade is level

if blade is level then just bend the shell as needed to clear the blade. i have used a simple hydrolic jack and a board to carefully bend out pushed in decks before.

also the main deck drive pulley should measure the same height off the deck as well

The Following User Says Thank You to keakar For This Useful Post:
crawlfish (03-28-2020)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Removed the deck to check for warp. Noticed that the deck pulley seemed to turn with resistance, even after releasing tension off the adjuster. So, thinking bearings might be shot removed the spindle. Spindle turned freely without grit feel or signs of bad bearings that I could tell. Deck doesnít show appear warped when sitting flat on table.

Reassembled and noticed pulley again doesnít spin freely. Is this normal? Friction from brake drum? Donít really know process for rebuilding the spindle with new bearings and otherwise didnít think I needed too but if it is supposed to spin easily then will.

Thereís a leveling rod on the deck that Iím wondering whether itíll align the blade side to side. Otherwise Iíll try hydraulic jack technique you suggested. Until then, Iíll wait on answer about how the spindle spins without belt on it. Thanks for help.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

After spending a couple days trying to troubleshoot and straighten the ďwarpĒ problem, Iím about to give up the ghost.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
what you want to do is take measurement from a fixed ground position then measure both ends of the blade after making sure the blade t mounting assembly is straight and level and the blade itself is straight and level

then measure again on the opposite side of the deck and see if the blade is level

if blade is level then just bend the shell as needed to clear the blade. i have used a simple hydrolic jack and a board to carefully bend out pushed in decks before.

also the main deck drive pulley should measure the same height off the deck as well
Iíve tried various techniques including using ratchet straps, a come-along, and shims but none of these worked. Writing this I realized the shims could never work. Iíve owned the come-along for decades and can count on one hand the no. of times it was used and worked.

How did you use the hydraulic jack and board? Iím having trouble visualizing it. Iíve got a small floor jack, a large floor jack, a winch and a half a day before I give up.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I’ve tried various techniques including using ratchet straps, a come-along, and shims but none of these worked. Writing this I realized the shims could never work. I’ve owned the come-along for decades and can count on one hand the no. of times it was used and worked.

How did you use the hydraulic jack and board? I’m having trouble visualizing it. I’ve got a small floor jack, a large floor jack, a winch and a half a day before I give up.
put a block on the opposite side inside of the bent side of the deck and then place the hydrolic jack on that block and then use a 2x4 on top of the jack to push the bend out of the deck on the inside of the bend end. take your time and it will bend enough to clear even if it wont completely bend itself out

a cumalong could also do this by place the mower against a solid barrier and then use the cumalong like a winch to pull the dent back out but it can slip off while doing this so be very careful

The Following User Says Thank You to keakar For This Useful Post:
crawlfish (04-25-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page