Is there a wiring diagram for a push button switch on a Snapper? - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Is there a wiring diagram for a push button switch on a Snapper?

I've got a 3312X6S that already has a push button mounted starter switch on it. It's kinda wired up but I'd like to clean up the wiring. The starter and alternator wiring is good. I've got new battery cables on the way. It doesn't have any switches on the deck but there is one by the shift handle but none are hooked up. I just want to hook up the push button starter correctly. Is there a wiring diagram or illustration located anywhere that I could look at? The parts manual for the 3312X6S has a great illustration for the electrical system if I wanted to hook up a key switch but not the push button. Right now it has only the metal panel with the push button, alternator wire, starter wire, battery cables that's it. Does it need the solenoid for the push button to operate? Is there a service or maintenance guide available for download for the 3312X6S. I was only able to find a parts manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh23g3g View Post
I've got a 3312X6S that already has a push button mounted starter switch on it. It's kinda wired up but I'd like to clean up the wiring. The starter and alternator wiring is good. I've got new battery cables on the way. It doesn't have any switches on the deck but there is one by the shift handle but none are hooked up. I just want to hook up the push button starter correctly. Is there a wiring diagram or illustration located anywhere that I could look at? The parts manual for the 3312X6S has a great illustration for the electrical system if I wanted to hook up a key switch but not the push button. Right now it has only the metal panel with the push button, alternator wire, starter wire, battery cables that's it. Does it need the solenoid for the push button to operate? Is there a service or maintenance guide available for download for the 3312X6S. I was only able to find a parts manual.
the safety switches have 4 wires each, 2 are connected with the button out and the other two are not connected with the button pushed in. push the button in and this reverses so the "open" connection closes and the "closed" connection opens.

the way these are wired is, the wire going to the starter is broken through these switches if the blade is engaged or if the brake pedal is not pushed in.

at the same time the kill wire going to the magneto coming from the seat switch, is ruin through these switches as well for the other two connections, so if the person gets off the seat with the blades engaged or the brake pedal isnt in park, then it kills the mower.

you can completely rewire the mower properly with the safeties working as they should based on that.

also a new key switch only costs $12 so just replace it and get rid of all that "rigged" wiring

You can only learn if you ask the question, so there are no dumb questions.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 02:56 PM

I agree with Keakar; do it right with the key switch...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2811x6s-30.jpg (222.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 2811x6s-31.jpg (213.4 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

That's the diagram I have. Right now I'm just trying to get it to start with the push button that's mounted in the panel. It starts normally with the pull cord and it also had a push button switch when I got the mower. The only wires on the whole mower are the black wire to the starter, the white wire to the alternator, and the two battery cables. It does not have a solenoid mounted anywhere. I'm not sure if it's needed for the push button switch. On the push button switch I remember it has the positive battery cable and I think the starter wire hooked up to it. I can't remember if it has 2 or 3 terminals on the push button, it's being stored at another location so I can't go refer to it right now. I was just wanting to get the push button hooked up the proper way and start using it to mow until I get the deck switch and the interlock ordered. I haven't been able to find a source to see how to properly hook up the push button switch. Anyone know how?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
That's the diagram I have. Right now I'm just trying to get it to start with the push button that's mounted in the panel. It starts normally with the pull cord and it also had a push button switch when I got the mower. The only wires on the whole mower are the black wire to the starter, the white wire to the alternator, and the two battery cables. It does not have a solenoid mounted anywhere. I'm not sure if it's needed for the push button switch. On the push button switch I remember it has the positive battery cable and I think the starter wire hooked up to it. I can't remember if it has 2 or 3 terminals on the push button, it's being stored at another location so I can't go refer to it right now. I was just wanting to get the push button hooked up the proper way and start using it to mow until I get the deck switch and the interlock ordered. I haven't been able to find a source to see how to properly hook up the push button switch. Anyone know how?
ok here is the problem

they converted the mower to electric start but did not do it correctly

the starter and alternator is there already so thats good.

now you need to run 2 new wires to the front key switch and replace it with a new key switch with the electric start function (part number 7017817YP average cost is $12-$15)

i do this all the time to snapper rear engine riders and nothing is hard but it needs to be done the right way

you also need to understand all the safeties, seat switch blade engaged switch, brake switch, they all simply ground out the magneto so you can turn it over forever and it will never start if the brake pedal isnt pressed or locked in place because you wont have any spark.

you need to buy a starter solenoid (part number 7075671YP average cost is $10-$12) and it mounts in the compartment by the gear lever, you will see two small holes there that are pre threaded for 3/8" hex head screw bolts to mount it in place. buy the starter solenoid that has one coil connection or you will need to jumper the other one to the 3/8" bolts for the solenoid to supply ground for the coil to work.

once you have the coil in place you need to add a 30 amp inline fuse from the positive lug hooked to the battery and also run a jumper from there to the alternator output wire to recharge the battery

the other side of the starter solenoid simply runs to the starter.

from the other end of the inline fuse you hook a wire to it that runs to the key switch and then one back that connects to the starter solenoid coil wire.

the way to run the new wires is to unplug the two wires from key switch and cut the plug off right close to the plug, then tie a string to the wires and pull them back through the tube. once you have it out you can slide the two new wires inside the plastic sheath by hand, jiggling it as needed. when the wires come out the end tie the string around all 4 wires and pull the wires and sheath back through the tube to the switch taking your time and add spade connectors to all 4 wires to connect to the new key switch.

note - you dont want to make the connections to the inline fuse or starter solenoid until after you finish rerunning the wires to the key switch and allowing enough slack to make a loop over it so as not to bind with the brake cable. same goes for alternator and starter wires

now you have everything set up correctly and safe

Last edited by keakar; 07-31-2018 at 08:58 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

So if I make the key switch harness as pictured in the 3312XS parts manual illustration what gauge wire should I be using? I don't have the switch mounted to the deck or that interlock solenoid. I do have some kind of switch mounted behind the gear shift lever and that's it. Another question is that if you mount the key switch up front on the column what would have originally been mounted in the control panel behind the seat? It seems that I've seen many Snappers that had the same push button starter switch mounted in the control panel. The wiring I have running from the push button switch to the alternator and starter looks to be like a factory wiring harness not something someone custom added. If I were to add all the safety switches where does the round interlock solenoid actually mount to? I wanted to try the push button switch just to make sure everything actually works before swapping over to the key but I don't know if the push button switch is properly wired or if it should be using a separate solenoid.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
So if I make the key switch harness as pictured in the 3312XS parts manual illustration what gauge wire should I be using? I don't have the switch mounted to the deck or that interlock solenoid. I do have some kind of switch mounted behind the gear shift lever and that's it. Another question is that if you mount the key switch up front on the column what would have originally been mounted in the control panel behind the seat? It seems that I've seen many Snappers that had the same push button starter switch mounted in the control panel. The wiring I have running from the push button switch to the alternator and starter looks to be like a factory wiring harness not something someone custom added. If I were to add all the safety switches where does the round interlock solenoid actually mount to? I wanted to try the push button switch just to make sure everything actually works before swapping over to the key but I don't know if the push button switch is properly wired or if it should be using a separate solenoid.

ok, sorry for misunderstanding your mower style

i havent worked on any old bicycle steering wheel snappers to be honest so im just telling you how to wire it based on my experience with the newer rectangle shaped steering wheels. but there are very few differences with them but the rear mounted starter switch must be one. since you already have a starter switch then you do not need to run wires to, or replace the key switch for yours, even though it would be better way to have it wired.

the reason for saying that is, and the reason they changed the design is this. with the separate rear starter switch, if you forget to turn on the key switch, you can crank the engine forever and it will never start because the key switch grounds out the magneto and you get no spark. so i bet there will be a time or two this happens to you and you just need to remember if it wont start, check key switch is on and the brake pedal is on, if either of these two are forgotten about it will crank over but never start

if you want to set it up with a key starter switch use 18 guage wire to the switch, what you have now should be a simple 2 wire switch with black and green 18 guage wire

as for what is missing, at this point i would leave it as-is as far as the safeties go, just wire it up like i said to and you will be good.

the deck switch is to prevent it from starting with the blades still engaged, the only way this could happen is if you are sitting on the mower with the blades engaged and your foot on the lock down plate or you have the blades engaged and lock down plate tied down, so its near impossible to forget its on or have it on by accident.

to test if the starter works, all you have to do is touch the starter wire from starter to the positive battery terminal, if that works then it works, if not you need a starter for it. the starter button is going to be hooked between the battery and the starter solenoid with an inline fuse so just test the starter switch with a multimeter to be sure it works

Last edited by keakar; 08-02-2018 at 10:16 AM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

I know it might be a little more difficult but I'd like to wire it up the way Snapper intended minus the safety switches. So I only found a parts manual for the 3312X6S online so I don't know if that's what they originally came with. But I did find an operator's manual for a 3311X5S which appears to be identical maybe a couple years earlier. It had a key switch on the column and a push button starter switch. In the manual it says to turn the key switch to on and then push the starter button for 5 seconds until it starts. It says to turn off the engine use the throttle control or turn the key to off. What's the purpose of a key if it just turns the engine off? So if I were going to wire in a key switch just to activate the push button or to kill the engine how would you wire that up? How many prongs would I need on the key switch? I believe the engine has been changed on this mower because it's a 1994 Briggs 12.5 HP.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
I know it might be a little more difficult but I'd like to wire it up the way Snapper intended minus the safety switches. So I only found a parts manual for the 3312X6S online so I don't know if that's what they originally came with. But I did find an operator's manual for a 3311X5S which appears to be identical maybe a couple years earlier. It had a key switch on the column and a push button starter switch. In the manual it says to turn the key switch to on and then push the starter button for 5 seconds until it starts. It says to turn off the engine use the throttle control or turn the key to off. What's the purpose of a key if it just turns the engine off? So if I were going to wire in a key switch just to activate the push button or to kill the engine how would you wire that up? How many prongs would I need on the key switch? I believe the engine has been changed on this mower because it's a 1994 Briggs 12.5 HP.
turning off the key kills the spark to the plug by sending a ground connection to the magneto

moving the throttle all the way down also kills the spark to the plug by sending a ground connection to the magneto

if you watch how the linkage works, you will see there is a small kill switch there that it touches at a certain low throttle point.

to wire it up the way it was done originally, i think you just need to add the starter solenoid for it to activate the starter when you press the button

it sounds like it was factory setup so im not sure why you didnt have the starter solenoid, maybe it went bad and they never replaced it?

as i mentioned before, there is a built in "flaw" with the older starting system as you can, and sometimes will, forget to turn the key on, and when press the starter button and it turns over forever but will never start.

that is why they updated the design with newer models. when the key is the kill switch and the starter switch, its impossible to not have the key on when starting.

Last edited by keakar; 08-04-2018 at 05:49 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

I asked the guy I got the mower from and he said his dad just wanted a simple push button switch only maybe he forgot to turn the key too sometimes so they did away with it. I need to get it wired up right because I went to start it today and it started fine but when I went to shut it off with the throttle it didn't do it right away. I'm still waiting for some hardware I'm missing on the deck and then I can mount it back then for sure try to get the electrical system sorted out. It still runs and drives around good.
keakar likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page