Newbie - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Hello everyone! 54 year man from Ohio here. I have a 2007 Yardman 38 inch cut tractor. My blade doesn't cut right on one side on the mower. I just changed the blades. When I did that I noticed the little star on the spindle was worn down to almost nothing. Would this be causing my problem? If it is can I get a new part for it? I have no idea if they even sell it or the part number if they do. I don't have a lot of money being on a fixed veteran disability war pension. Any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 01:22 AM
Administrator

Garage
Welcome from a 52 year old from Ohio and thank you for your service sir!

I think the only thing that star does is to keep the blade from turning and possibly loosening up the bolt that holds it. Probably more likely is the deck is not hanging level due to wear, or if you have hit something at some point, etc. Since you have replaced the blades that eliminates the possibility of a bent blade. What you can try is parking on a level flat surface like a garage floor and lower the deck to the cutting position you use. Then turn the blades and measure the distance from the cutting edge to the garage floor. Take a measurement with them at 3 and 9 o'clock position and another at 12 and 6 o'clock position. Usually the front of the deck should be a hair lower then the back of the deck toward the seat. Of course 3 and 9 position on both blades should be equal to each other and what you measure at 12 and 6 should be equal on both sides. But what these measurements will tell you is if the deck is hanging lower on one side or if you have a spindle that is not exactly vertical that is causing the blade tip to dip. Might be all you need to do is adjust the hangers that the deck hangs on from the frame of the mower.

Oh and make sure your tire pressures are correct. Here's a video that shows all of that:

https://www.google.com/search?client...m2tAbaob_wBQ20

It was manufactured by MTD so you can look up manuals and parts on their website for it if you find you need anything. There are also other numerous places you can find parts and exploded views if you google your model number.

https://www.mtdproducts.com/webapp/w...0500&langId=-1

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

Last edited by Mark / Ohio; 05-07-2020 at 01:32 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 06:02 AM

Garage
Welcome from Gettysburg address

Perpetual Optimism is a force multiplier!!
John Deere D-140
Toro 22" GTS, 6.5 hp SP Personal Pace
97 Lawn Boy 10200, 6.0 hp
Troy Bilt 21" TB230 4 .5 hp, SP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 05:35 PM

The little star on the spindle acts like a key way To keep the blade spinning with the spindle,Did you install the blade with the lift up on the blade? Or Same as the other one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page