Problem with LA145 - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By LT 111

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Problem with LA145

I have a LA145 with 181 hours on it.Late last mowing season,It started slowing down on inclines.I was going to limp along till this fall,but then I developed problems on my mower deck.After pulling the deck and fixing the problem parts,I turned my attention to the tranny.It's a T40J.I pulled the tranny.Oil level was full,though of course it's at least 10 years old.I drained it and opened the tranny.Found almost no material on the magnets,no debris laying in the case,and almost no wear on the parts.Reassembled the tranny using high temp rtv sealant on the case and refilled oil with 5w50 synthetic as recommended.Fan and pulley on tranny looked good.Reinstalled.Started mower,released brake/clutch,and heard an awful noise I hadn't heard before.Research led me to youtube video with the same symptom.Replaced the idler pulleys and bracket,since flat pulley refused to come off bracket.Also replaced worn out drive belt with OEM part.Put mower on jack stands for purging and started up.Didn't hear noise.Held forward pedal down for 5 minutes.Spins good.Held back pedal for 5 minutes.Spins good.Drop mower down and recheck tranny fluid level.Still full.Start mower,release clutch,noise is back and mower moves slower than before work began.Start to smell burning rubber,shut off mower.Inspection of underside reveals nothing.Start up again,release clutch,no noise or smell.Try moving mower forward and reverse.Moves quickly either way.Drive up and down driveway,good.Rolling across lawn,slows down,noise and smell return.Parked it and that's where I'm at.Mower deck is still off btw.Any thoughts?I've had the PTO and drive pulley removed to repair an engine oil leak.prior to purging the tranny.Didn't see anything wrong with them.Would a PTO with no prior hint of trouble cause such a problem,even with the deck removed?I welcome your input,and sorry for long post.Thought I'd better be thorough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 08:54 PM

"Start to smell burning rubber," I know the smell! You may have missed one of the belt guides and the belt is on the wrong side of the pin, bolt, rail, bracket, or what ever the OEM wants to call it. Check the belt routing around all pulleys and straight runs. Anything that is belt driven to be sure.
Mark / Ohio likes this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Checked the belt pathway.Everything is correct.Drive pulley above the PTO is fine,and pulley above tranny appears fine.Looking like a problem with the PTO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page