LA105 Flooding - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mark / Ohio

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

LA105 Flooding

It's embarrassing to admit this one has me stumped. My mower with a Briggs 19.5 HP mower (31P6 77 0144 B1) suddenly refused to start. It's nine years old so it's no surprise it might need attention. After confirming air, fuel, and fire, I pulled the blower housing and found the flywheel key slightly dented, so I replaced it. New fuel filter, drained and refilled the tank and carb with fresh gas, still nothing.

Pulled the carb and found a couple of bad o-rings, so I put in a kit. No success. When attempt to crank it, even with no choke, the plug gets soaked. The solenoid operates but it looks like it is no stopping the flow of fuel when the key is turned off. When I remove the spark plug and manually turn the engine, I get way more gas ejected than expected.

I've been at this almost a week, so I someone can jump start my thinking, I'd really appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks in advance!

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:13 PM

This is only what I did to fix a simular problem with my 12.5 briggs. I replaced all fuel lines, plug, fuel filer and finally wound up replacing the carb after rebuilding it. I just went on line and bought an inexpensive will fit. I also installed a manual fuel shut off valve for when the mower is not being used. This combination solved the problem. Maybe it will solve yours.

If the devil danced in empty pockets he`d have a ball in mine

The Following User Says Thank You to M. T. Pockets For This Useful Post:
Texoma Tinker (06-10-2019)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:45 AM
Administrator

Garage
I have a carb on order for my Toro lawnmower (Briggs engine) that is about 15 years old. Float not shutting off the fuel and dripping after shutdown, flooding on warm restarts. I pulled it apart and thought about ordering a rebuild kit including new float and needle valve and seat and cleaning it up and seeing if that took care of it like I've done many times before but decided just to get the carb complete. Cost was not that much more and I just don't have the time at the moment to spend fussing with it if I can avoid it. I seem to bat about 50/50 on the rebuilds. Sometimes I get them to work fine first attempt and others takes pulling them apart several times before I get them sorted out. They can be finicky as it only takes one microscopic particle remaining in there to cause problems.
keakar likes this.

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:14 PM

Shutoff....all the Briggs will need one sooner or later......put it in sooner....
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

I plan to put in a shut-off, but I don't think that will resolve the issue. I can drain the bowl and clear the cylinder, then connect the fuel line and immediately attempt to start the engine and it still floods. Since no fuel is flowing until the engine cranks and the fuel pump operates I have no idea how that much fuel is getting to the cylinder that fast. From what I've read, I don't think it is possible for the fuel pump to over-pressurize the carb.

I've ordered a new carb and hopefully that will resolve the issue. Still, I'd sure like to understand what is happening.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma Tinker View Post
I've ordered a new carb and hopefully that will resolve the issue. Still, I'd sure like to understand what is happening.
the float needle isnt sealing, that is why its flooding

a new carb costs $16 on ebay which is almost the same as a rebuild kit costs, its not even worth your time trying to rebuild a carb anymore

You can only learn if you ask the question, so there are no dumb questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page