John Deere JX75 makes horrid sounds unless blade is engaged. - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

John Deere JX75 makes horrid sounds unless blade is engaged.

I got a 1999 JX75 Mower three days ago, for free. The eyelet on the recoil starter wore out, which is all I know about it's last 20 years.

I'm working on the eyelet problem, but my question regards a sound, rusty metal on rusty metal, that the mower makes as I try to start it. It starts now, but before, when it wasn't starting -- this horrid sound as I tried to start it.

Got it started, and the engine seems fine (awesome sound, really), but this horrid metal clashing goes on in the background.

Engage the blade, and the horrid sound goes away. Whole mower sounds beautiful. Quite the contrast.

I have worked on mowers, but never one with a clutch -- none the less, this sounds like a clutch problem. To me. Who knows nothing about clutches. A new clutch is quite pricey ($185, when I looked), so can't do that.

I have no clue how to approach this. I am hoping someone knows what the problem is, from my description. Can get more information on this mower, if that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Found a video on the clutch, unbolted it, and found a bone dry bearing, capable of making the metal on metal screech. Will change it out. The rest looks ok.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 02:42 AM
Administrator

Garage
Fingers crossed that is it. let us know how it turns out.

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:35 PM

Yes, let us know. I had a JX75 and several 14SBs (and will have one again someday) and loved them all.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark / Ohio View Post
Fingers crossed that is it. let us know how it turns out.
Got the new bearing in place. Ran a test and some of the noise is gone. All of the horrid screech is gone. What remains is an irritating rattle, sounding of old metal.

When I ordered the bearing, they sent me two bearings, one bigger than the other. The bigger one was what I installed. I had thought just one bearing was bad, but apparently they both were bad. Gonna have to watch another video to see how the smaller bearing gets installed.

Edit: (Watched the video again, and there is just one bearing in the clutch. Going to try to lube the spring portion of the clutch -- it seems like it might rattle -- without getting lube on the clutch plate.)

The only difficulty was getting the old bearing out of the clutch, and the new one in. 5 pound sledge hammer worked, getting the old out. 3 pound hammer for getting the new one in. The video was helpful.

Used JB-Weld on the recoil starter to repair the eyelet. The JB-Weld held up, but was a bit worn after a rigorous test. Worked fine for starting the mower, but I'm thinking in 5 years of normal starting, will probably have to repair the JB-Weld area again.

Last edited by Dan Kilhoffer; 05-12-2019 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Clarification
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

After watching more videos, and putting together small info tidbits from each, I have decided there is indeed another bearing in the clutch assembly, at the top of the top half. And one of the videos showed how to remove the top half of the clutch. "Buy a screw and screw it in at the bottom of the vertical shaft". No video says how to get it back on there, but maybe I can figure it out.

Will give this a go tomorrow. I'm doing this to eliminate the ugly sounding noise when the mower runs. Everything on the mower seems to work.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

I got the upper part of the clutch off the mower, and have been looking at it for some time, trying to imagine how best to remove the upper bearing. The bearing is bad (rough and metal sound), so I'm probably on the way to solving the noise problem. Just don't want to sledge hammer (3-pound hammer more likely) on the wrong part, trying to get the bearing off. Can't find a video to help me guess. Hate to use my own judgement (it's terrible at times).
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 02:00 AM
Administrator

Garage
I've never had one of those apart so unfortunately can't be of any help. All I can provide is moral support.

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:13 PM

Good posts and the correct diagnosis of the noise. Is the blade break clutch pad still if good shape? It not you might have been better off with a full blade break clutch replacement, but that clutch assembly runs about $175 for the part now days. To work on the clutch I’d recommend removing the whole clutch assembly, replace the bearing and reinstall. Do you have a copy of Technical Manual TM1471? I believe you can still find it online for free in PDF format with a Google search hosted on a website called Bionic Engineering. That manual is the dealer repair manual on the silver deck mowers but since the JX75 is identical except for color of the deck if yours has the Kawasaki FC150V engine.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDeck View Post
Good posts and the correct diagnosis of the noise. Is the blade break clutch pad still if good shape? It not you might have been better off with a full blade break clutch replacement, but that clutch assembly runs about $175 for the part now days. To work on the clutch I’d recommend removing the whole clutch assembly, replace the bearing and reinstall. Do you have a copy of Technical Manual TM1471? I believe you can still find it online for free in PDF format with a Google search hosted on a website called Bionic Engineering. That manual is the dealer repair manual on the silver deck mowers but since the JX75 is identical except for color of the deck if yours has the Kawasaki FC150V engine.
Both pads are in good shape. I've never seen a clutch pad before, and for all I know, these pads could be worn, but they look good, round with no pieces missing, and look like they should last a while.

I looked at that pdf, and the clutch in the pdf doesn't look like mine. No matter. I have the whole clutch off now, and I'm comfortable putting it all back together. I couldn't come up with a way to get the bearing off the inner (upper) half of the clutch, so I'm cutting the old bearing into pieces where it is. My Dremel seems to be incredibly slow (using diamond coated bits). I will have the steel balls out of the bearing tomorrow morning, and will just have to see what happens. Will probably need to find a way to cut metal faster, for the sake of my sanity. Not something I do very often, so have a cheapo Dremel. Doesn't seem to cut anything, at times.

Engine is a Kawasaki, but haven't given a thought to it, as the noise of the bearings drove all other thoughts from mind. Mower is a 1999, if that helps.

I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page