John Deere z425 - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

John Deere z425

I recently got a hand me down z425. This mower was not very well maintained so I'm trying to catch it up on some things. I noticed in the manual that it does not require you to change the hydraulic fluid or filter.

My questions are why wouldnt jd want you to service the hydraulics? Is it going to hurt anything to replace the filter and top the fluid off with fresh fluid? How much can I expect to drain just by removing the filter? What would you do?

The hydraulics are not acting up. This isn't some attempt to save the mower by doing what I'd consider the bare minimum maintenance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 12:35 PM

my thoughts are i cant think of a reason it would hurt to do it

but im not sure if you really put enough hours on it to "require" it to be replaced

You can only learn if you ask the question, so there are no dumb questions.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 06:07 PM

I'm just guessing as I haven't looked at them in a while. I think the Z425 is is considered "pro-sumer" grade and has a lot of features, but still has sealed trans. Like no drain plugs, internal filters, zero maintenance type thing. You'd have to look up the specs or crawl under and look up the tag number on the trans. I think some came with what JD called an expansion tank that we would call a reservoir so there is an access point, but you may have to remove the trans and tip them upside down to drain My guess would be the Tuff Torq TZT , Deere may have had some with Hydro Gear, but I've never seen a Z-turn Deere with one.
If it does have the filter (plastic holder kind you set a ratchet head in to remove) , I'd definitely replace it. If it's the only drain source you won't get all the fluid out. I have a very old LX188 that has a K61 TT trans and it has 2 drain plugs to drop the the pump and dif fluids, but it does not have an external access filter. Our X530 has the K72 which has 2 drains and an external filter access.

Last edited by jtclays; 08-20-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtclays View Post
I'm just guessing as I haven't looked at them in a while. I think the Z425 is is considered "pro-sumer" grade and has a lot of features, but still has sealed trans. Like no drain plugs, internal filters, zero maintenance type thing. You'd have to look up the specs or crawl under and look up the tag number on the trans. I think some came with what JD called an expansion tank that we would call a reservoir so there is an access point, but you may have to remove the trans and tip them upside down to drain My guess would be the Tuff Torq TZT , Deere may have had some with Hydro Gear, but I've never seen a Z-turn Deere with one.
If it does have the filter (plastic holder kind you set a ratchet head in to remove) , I'd definitely replace it. If it's the only drain source you won't get all the fluid out. I have a very old LX188 that has a K61 TT trans and it has 2 drain plugs to drop the the pump and dif fluids, but it does not have an external access filter. Our X530 has the K72 which has 2 drains and an external filter access.
Im pretty sure it is a Tuff Torq. The only filter I've seen is a single spin off filter mounted under the frame below the reservoir. Aside from the filter I do not remember seeing any drain plugs.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 09:26 PM

I just looked up Z425 on JD parts and they list both Hydro Gear and TT depending on serial numbers. HG's look to have a filter on each side and the TT none on the trans, but looks like they had a central pump with one?????

John Deere - Parts Catalog
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtclays View Post
I just looked up Z425 on JD parts and they list both Hydro Gear and TT depending on serial numbers. HG's look to have a filter on each side and the TT none on the trans, but looks like they had a central pump with one?????

John Deere - Parts Catalog
That is correct. Mine is an early model with the TT. Single filter under the reservoir on the left hand side.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page