Commerical 20 help - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Commerical 20 help

Hi,

new to the form. I live in Southern NJ and looking for some help with a Jacobsen Commerical 20 push mower.

I mower was a hand-me down to my grandfather that ended up at our house and it dawned on me. It's been around longer then me I think (i'm 46) and the only mower my parents have own. In the last 10 years it's seem little or no use till I pulled it out of the shed last weekend. It's got some old fuel in it and also a newish spark plug. The issue seems to be spark. I tried checking it with a simple test light, but when I pull I don't see any flicker of light.

My next thought was to try and get at the sator. I pulled off the cover and the bolt for the flywheel but stopped there. I'm guessing some type of fly wheel puller is needed? There isn't much space to get puller arms under it.

I also did some searching The model is 32033 22320 and I think this is a 321 2ngine?

Any help with the repair ideas or information (on line manual?) would be awesome. I've got experience with motorcycle repair and a good set of tools.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P5100002.jpg (117.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg P5100006.jpg (84.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg P5100008.jpg (103.3 KB, 3 views)
Austen and Kiss4aFrog like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 11:47 AM
Administrator

That looks to be in great shape! We have a few Jake gurus here who will chime in here shortly with some help.
Be sure to hang onto that one.

Like us on Facebook!
Guaranteed not to Rust, Bust, Collect Dust, Chip, Peel or Leak at the Seal!
I have to go, Frank and Mike are at the gate.....
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks you. to be honest when I pulled it out, It was just to take a few pics to sell it but I'm a sucker for tinkering so hopefully someone can get me pointed in the right direction and she'll run once again.

Joe
Five Points likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

I also found a tag on the engine: Engine No. 8D 501272.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 06:35 PM

Thanked 1,081 Times in 802 Posts
Here's a Jacobsen service manual from 1966. See if there's anything in there that's helpful.

Jacobsen 1966 Manual Part 1.pdf

Jacobsen 1966 Manual Part 2.pdf

Jacobsen 1966 Manual Part 3.pdf

Page 16 shows how to remove the flywheel. You don't want to use a puller on them, as I recall. Not having one of their "special" flywheel removal nut, I used a coupling nut on my Jake.

Nova II electronic ignitions work very well on those old Jake engine. Austen put one on his Lawn Queen, and after reading of his success, I've put them on two different Jakes.

http://www.mfgsupply.com/31-8786.html
Austen and need2boat like this.

Last edited by bwdbrn1; 05-12-2015 at 10:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bwdbrn1 For This Useful Post:
Austen (05-13-2015)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the info I got flywheel off, looked things over and took a few pics I've got be honest. I don't really know how to test the points I just figured I'd find a broken wire.

I cleaned up what I could and put it back together, cleaned the carburetor bowl figuring there might be some old gas and put it back together.

Still no spark.. That I can detect..

I read over the PDF tomorrow as well as look into the electronic Ignition. one other question. Any chance I can find a rebuild kit or seals for the carb.

Thanks in advance

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P5120004.jpg (46.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg P5120005.jpg (51.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg P5120006.jpg (42.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg P5120008.jpg (48.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg P5120010.jpg (40.6 KB, 1 views)
bwdbrn1 likes this.

Last edited by need2boat; 05-12-2015 at 10:43 PM. Reason: pics
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 04:10 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,344 Times in 1,049 Posts
Nice mower and great work on getting it to this point in terms of bringing new life back into her! That's pretty neat if it's been in your family since new.

If you don't already know the year of your mower, it can be dated using this website based off the serial number, although the site appears to be down at the moment. Check back. http://hmfind.com/JAC/JacobsenSerialNumberFinder.aspx

The original ignition components in vintage Jakes are their weak point. As Bruce mentioned, an electronic conversion is the way to go. I run the Nova II kit in all my Jake engines. It provides a nice hot spark, is reliable and is an easy conversion.

I created this write up on how to do the conversion several years ago. The kit will work with your stock coil assuming it's still good. Otherwise you'll need to get a new coil that's compatible with the kit as explained. How to convert a points and condenser system to electronic ignition on a small engine.

Once in a while carb kits do pop up on Ebay- all they really are is just a few gaskets. Typically I've always made my own gaskets using the originals as templates when it comes to vintage Jacobsens. FYI though, if you do find one, the gasket material will be quite old because parts have been obsolete for decades for these engines. Sometimes it's better to use new material and go through the trouble creating your own for that reason alone.

Five Points and need2boat like this.

"We donít look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever." - 2 Corinthians 4:18 1958 Eclipse 32" Speedway l Restored Eclipse Sulky l 1947 Jacobsen 26" Lawn King Jacobsen 36-A Sulky Restored 1949 Jacobsen 20" Lawn Queen l Honda HRB215 l 1977 Economy Tractor l 1971 Bolens 1886-01

Last edited by Austen; 05-13-2015 at 04:47 AM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 06:47 AM

Thanked 1,081 Times in 802 Posts
That's a super clean looking commercial you have there. I bet you have it purring like a kitten before long.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Austen and others thanks so much. for all the info. I did quickly search on searchtempest last week before finding this site to see if I could find any in the area and did see a few for sale but nothing with in 100 miles.

Making the gasket where the carb bolts up to the engine I shouldn't be a problem. How about the rubber gasket for around the bowl. I'm not sure if it's leaking there or the threaded star wheel/needle under the it. I wasn't really sure what it did.

I've got a few mower repair shops in the area so maybe I can pick up a Nova II locally otherwise I'll order.

Thanks again everyone for all the help. Also the plug is Champion CJ-14? Does that sounds right? I did some reading online and it sounds like the 321 engine uses a UJ-12.

Joe
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,344 Times in 1,049 Posts
Those plugs will work. I have a couple of different ones in both of my 321's: a Champion J19LM and a Denso W14LM-U in another.

If the carb bowl gasket is the o-ring type, it should be a fairly standard size that you can find at a lawnmower or auto parts shop. If it's made out of gasket paper, then one will have to be made.
need2boat likes this.

"We donít look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever." - 2 Corinthians 4:18 1958 Eclipse 32" Speedway l Restored Eclipse Sulky l 1947 Jacobsen 26" Lawn King Jacobsen 36-A Sulky Restored 1949 Jacobsen 20" Lawn Queen l Honda HRB215 l 1977 Economy Tractor l 1971 Bolens 1886-01
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page