Commerical 20 help - Page 2 - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

testing the coil?

Its just a rubber o-ring type so I'll look around. I did find you're thread on the install and link to garden tractor pulling tips. Brian sells about everything under the sun for small engines.

What's the best way to check the coil or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new one. I had emailed Brian and he sells a replacement that will work.

cheers

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,344 Times in 1,049 Posts
I'm not too familiar with testing procedures but it's up to you if you want to get the kit first, connect it up to your stock coil and see if it works and go from there.

It may just be my luck, but I've had to replace the original coils on every one of my Jacobsens. I've connected up the kit to a stock coil before only to have it fail shortly thereafter and then had to take it apart again to replace it with a new coil.

"We donít look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever." - 2 Corinthians 4:18 1958 Eclipse 32" Speedway l Restored Eclipse Sulky l 1947 Jacobsen 26" Lawn King Jacobsen 36-A Sulky Restored 1949 Jacobsen 20" Lawn Queen l Honda HRB215 l 1977 Economy Tractor l 1971 Bolens 1886-01
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 08:25 PM

That is one nice hand me down. All I ever end up with is screwed up junk.

The advice is free, you get what you pay for
Sears 18hp 46"
Toro WH 265-6 w/38"
JD 160 w/38"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

OK, well I got everything apart and I ordered a nova II, new coil, and rebuild kit for the Carb from Brian @ A-1 Miller's Performance

The parts should be here in a week or so and I'll post up some pics when I get into it. Austen or other who have used the Nova. To shut the engine off. Currently I just ground the plug. Should I add in a switch?

Joe
Austen likes this.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by need2boat View Post
OK, well I got everything apart and I ordered a nova II, new coil, and rebuild kit for the Carb from Brian @ A-1 Miller's Performance

The parts should be here in a week or so and I'll post up some pics when I get into it. Austen or other who have used the Nova. To shut the engine off. Currently I just ground the plug. Should I add in a switch?

Joe
Good deal!
Regarding shut off, is there not a switch or metal tab to ground the plug to kill the motor?

If there's a switch, you can wire the kit into it.

"We donít look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever." - 2 Corinthians 4:18 1958 Eclipse 32" Speedway l Restored Eclipse Sulky l 1947 Jacobsen 26" Lawn King Jacobsen 36-A Sulky Restored 1949 Jacobsen 20" Lawn Queen l Honda HRB215 l 1977 Economy Tractor l 1971 Bolens 1886-01
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

As I remember it, when we first got the mower to shut it off you turned the Choke/throttle knob then at some point when it was serviced a metal grounding tab was added and they cut the spark plug boot so it would ground out. I was looking to the 1966 manual PDF but couldn't find any pictures.

I'd rather not but the spark plug boot again so I was thinking I should add a switch or try and figure out how throttle adjustment was used to shut the mower off.

Joe
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 05:26 PM
Administrator

From the sounds of it, the choke knob should be part of the kill switch then. To kill the motor, the switch will probably be slid/turned to the very opposite side of the choke position.

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

agreed but without seeing it wired up. I do understand how that would work. I did see a black wire that was taped off when the points were changed last. I'm guessing that wire woulds run to the throttle/choke or switch. The bakewell knob is just attached to a rod that adjusted the carb. I'll have to take a closer look but it doesn't look like it had any missing connections.

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page