YTH21K46 Loud Clunking Sound When Deck Engaged - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

YTH21K46 Loud Clunking Sound When Deck Engaged

I just recently bought a Husqvarna YTH21K46 mower. This mower is great, it cuts and runs like a dream. The only negative I have is when I put the cutting deck in gear or push the throttle open quickly, there is a knocking noise that sounds like the motor is loose on the frame.

I just changed out the blades and while I had the deck off, I tried opening the throttle and it still made the knocking noise. I know it isn't the transmission as I had the brake set. It isn't a rod knock as the engine runs great, no knock at all. Just when I start the deck fast or open the throttle quickly.

I can open the throttle slowly or put the deck in gear slowly and it won't make that noise. Anyone have any suggestions what it may be. I will check the motor tomorrow to see if it is loose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 12:48 AM
Administrator

Garage
Another thought might be a heat shield like they might have around the muffler or engine cover rattling.

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark / Ohio View Post
Another thought might be a heat shield like they might have around the muffler or engine cover rattling.
Thanks Mark, I appreciate your advice, but the heat shield has been broken off for some reason. I guess I need to get my wife to push the throttle open and see if I can see where the noise is coming from. Thanks again.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:42 AM

If the knocking is temporary while additional load is put on the engine, you should double check the engine mounting bolts to be sure they are tight. Single cylinder engines do tend to vibrate loose from the frame from time to time. If you find the mounting bolts loose, likely adding a lock washer will avoid future loosening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page