Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: MT, USA
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I went ahead and measured the wheels I put on a couple of years ago, only to find they were 6.5" wheels. The originals were 7"! I was looking at some 8" wheels at Harbor Freight, but when each wheel weighs 3 pounds, that adds a significant amount of weight to the mower that I didn't need.
To make a long story short, I reinstalled the original wheels (the cracked wheel isn't as bad as I remembered, so I went with it). This raised the blade enough to make it a good mowing height for what grass I still had growing the past week.
I went ahead and mowed and was happy with what I saw this past weekend. It has a good hour and a half of run time on the engine now, and I'll keep running it here and there over the next couple months for break-in. When the one cracked wheel finally gives out, I might just use one from Harbor Freight.
So, I think this project is done! I thank everyone for their help!
Flathead Valley, MT
1982 Lawn Chief 11/36 rider
1993 Coast to Coast (MTD) 14/38 rider
2003 Snapper Hi-Vac S-P (216517B) w/Thatcherizer
2004 Craftsman pusher (917.388630) w/ 5.5 hp Predator
Other Machines in My Yard:
1974 Wizard (Gilson) tiller (project)
1977 Ariens Rocket V tiller (project)
1980 Ariens ST824 snowblower
1990s Toro CCR1000 snowblower
1990 & 1992 Snapper Hi-Vac S-P's
2006 White Outdoor (MTD) 18/42 rider
1996 Ranch King (MTD) 12/38 rider