GT5000 want to repower but engine no longer available - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Question GT5000 want to repower but engine no longer available

After almost 1200 hours and diligent maintenance my Craftsman GT5000 54'' mower/garden tractor refuses to run. I changed fuel, filters, oil and it will run on starter fluid but won't run on fuel. Get fuel to the filter and filter remains half full. Haven't gone past that yet due to heat/humidity.

I had to replace a cylinder head a few years back but other than that it's been good. Lately I've used other mowers and left its deck off while working my Johnny Bucket Jr, sleeve mount box blade, trailer hitch and electric winch. So it's not seen as many hours this year as the past 14!
Mower isitem 917.276380 Model 27638
SN: 022405B0xxxxx
w/Hydro 26hp 725cc twin Kohler
Engine kohler model no.cv730-0041

Sears no longer has the engine, other third party vendors tell me that particular engine is no longer available and that there is no option for replacement.

That doesn't seem right to me but that's why I'm turning to the genius pool here. Anyone repowered from a Kohler to Kawasaki?
I know the shaft diameter and length is critical and I figure I can manufacture a mounting plate for different hole patterns for a replacement.

Is there something I'm missing?

I can't afford a new garden tractor or subcompact tractor or used tractor at the prices I've seen and I have 2 other mowers for the grasswork. Want to use this repowered or replaced for bucket, box blade and trailer moving duties.

If I was younger, more talented, smarter or any combination of the three I'd maybe do something radical but I'm 70, health issues, and just wanting to get things done. (The $375 suspension seat I added a few years ago also is near and dear to my heart/seat...you know)

Last edited by JimboTN; 08-10-2019 at 09:39 PM. Reason: additional information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page