Another Bolens buy - HDT1000 - Page 2 - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 07:32 PM
Administrator

That looks like a lot of fun for you Austen, Iíve been looking at a couple diesel Fords thatís been listed in my area. Any quick thoughts on those?
Iíll be watching for those new reveals from you on this one!

Like us on Facebook!
Guaranteed not to Rust, Bust, Collect Dust, Chip, Peel or Leak at the Seal!
I have to go, Frank and Mike are at the gate.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Five Points For This Useful Post:
Austen (12-26-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-26-2019, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Thanked 1,345 Times in 1,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five Points View Post
That looks like a lot of fun for you Austen, I’ve been looking at a couple diesel Fords that’s been listed in my area. Any quick thoughts on those?
I’ll be watching for those new reveals from you on this one!

Thanks, it will be handy to have a loader again.

That's neat, don't know too much about the Fords. Usually most diesel GT's built pretty robust. I think they came with a Shibaura diesel, don't know much about them or what available parts supplies are like. This '85 HDT1000 has a Mitsubishi and finding filters, etc, are not readily available even though I have the part numbers to Google. I've found aside from full rebuilt kits, you really can't find much of anything at least here in the states for them. The previous owner wrote down available filters that are NAPA replacements which will be helpful. This machine has a leaking radiator hose for instance that I'm aware of that I'll need to address but since parts like that aren't available anymore, it'll take a bit to find an alternative part solution.

"We donít look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever." - 2 Corinthians 4:18 1958 Eclipse 32" Speedway l Restored Eclipse Sulky l 1947 Jacobsen 26" Lawn King Jacobsen 36-A Sulky Restored 1949 Jacobsen 20" Lawn Queen l Honda HRB215 l 1977 Economy Tractor l 1971 Bolens 1886-01
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Alright, picked up the HDT a couple of weeks ago. Here's some pics! I've been busy doing some things to it so I'll update slowly of the progression but here's some initial ones. She has some new shoes too, you'll see!...

"We donít look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever." - 2 Corinthians 4:18 1958 Eclipse 32" Speedway l Restored Eclipse Sulky l 1947 Jacobsen 26" Lawn King Jacobsen 36-A Sulky Restored 1949 Jacobsen 20" Lawn Queen l Honda HRB215 l 1977 Economy Tractor l 1971 Bolens 1886-01

Last edited by Austen; 01-14-2020 at 12:57 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Austen For This Useful Post:
Ericjr16 (01-14-2020), quickshot (02-08-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Well here's a series of updates. The biggest thing for me with a new to me machine like this is just getting acquainted and finding my way around it. That very much has been the occurrence this week.

New radiator hoses.... aka meet "radiator hose guy"

The lower radiator hose was swelled and needed to be replaced. I would ideally, of course, like to find a factory replacement. I've been trying to find one and asked those overseas such as in Sweden where the HDT is more common if the part numbers are still available but have yet to hear back from anyone. They are not available that I can find (yet anyway) in the U.S. In the meantime, I had to find a solution. I think the guys at my local NAPA nicknamed me "radiator hose guy" as I went in there almost every day this week after work. I went treasure hunting in their rad hose inventory after work for close to an hour on Monday, bought a couple close matches and tried another store. I trimmed down some close alternatives but there has to be at least a little give for any of these to work and there just isn't until they immediately kink. I spent hours online going through auto parts stores' online inventories, ordering them, picking them up the next day only to return them the next... aka "radiator hose guy." Anyway, I had to resort to a flex hose for the time being for that lower one. Unless I want to park the machine and hope someday that I can find an original lower rad hose (which I will continue to pursue), this alternative works in the meantime.

While I had the machine drained of coolant for a week, it allowed me to do a few other things.

Oil/ filter change

She was due for a change! She even quieted down some after the new oil, do love that Amsoil. In an upcoming video I'll go over some of these brackets, but the HDT has all these small to medium sized brackets around the sides near the engine. I began unscrewing the filter and.. stop. This small bracket with the arrow above is a flywheel guard I believe. Anyway, like I said above, I'm just learning my way around the machine and this is a prime example! Next time, I'll know to remove the small bracket before unscrewing the oil filter and making a mess....

New coolant

Alright, let's get to some fun stuff.... ;-)

Seat

Take your pick....

WINNER!!

3-Point hitch

Wheels

Ah, yes, the wheels. You knew they might make a reappearance somewhere...

Well, that's it for now. Some teaser pics here and there maybe until the next update. I'm going to order a couple new things for it like headlights and she should be all ready to go for snow removal- one of my favorite things! It got here right in time!
Mark / Ohio and Five Points like this.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Coming right along, you're having too much fun!
The seat already makes a huge difference, good find on that.

Like us on Facebook!
Guaranteed not to Rust, Bust, Collect Dust, Chip, Peel or Leak at the Seal!
I have to go, Frank and Mike are at the gate.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Five Points For This Useful Post:
Austen (02-06-2020)
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Can you identify which bulbs out of these are LED? I'll be the first to admit that I've never been a fan of LEDs on GTs for my own personal tastes. I came across recently these PAR 36 LED bulbs which appeared to be almost exactly in appearance to original incandescent bulbs from the pictures I saw. I noticed several have been running them on their Bolens machines. I was curious. As an experiment, I purchased them and told myself if they appeared to obviously be LED, that I would return them. I installed them and they were noticeably brighter without blinding you. What I did not see so much in the online pictures was the whitish hue in the background that you see in the daylight; to me, it reminded me of the girl's eyes in "The Ring" movie which is why I included the clip.... dare if you watch. I didn't like the 'goobly goblin' look so I purchased a pair of new GE sealed beam factory style replacements which I'm satisfied with. You can still definitely see in front of you at night only without the "tennis court like" output of the LED's. I'm just fine with that and the original look is what matters most for me.

For comparison purposes, I took several photos of the PAR 36 bulbs next to different brands of incandescent variants.

PAR36

Comparison of LED's (warm white) vs. sealed beam incandescents at night.

Don't say I didn't warn ya....

That about sums it up....

Overall winner.

While I was working with the headlights, I decided to get the taillight working too. The original just didn't want to come back to life. I cleaned the socket which was seized, spread some dielectric grease, installed a new bulb and she didn't want to revive. Rick Bolensman helped me out with a reproduction style replacement which even includes a nice rubber gasket that the old one was either missing or didn't have.

It bugged me not having a proper headlight decal. It won't be for sometime until I repaint the machine but in the meantime, I wanted one. I've ordered many times from Click it and Stick over the years and their quality is generally average. The example decals in this order were subpar regarding the material; it was like paper and my fingernail could go right through it. I contacted Nate and he told me that they are in the process of producing their Bolens decals in the better laminate product they have. Not sure why I didn't get this version to begin with. Anyway, between being disappointed with such cheap quality material and it being too cold out for decal installs, this one was a fail so I'm going to have to reorder. Nate and I have also been discussing the possibility of doing a kit for this style HDT hood/fender decal type. Kevin's has a slightly different style hood decal and I'd like to eventually replace mine with the same kind. I also noticed that this headlight decal's top stripe is quite a bit lighter than the ones on the sides of the hood on mine. The lower two stripes are dead on but that top one is too light. Could be that they faded but then why didn't the lower two stripes fade too. It sounds like he's going to send me a couple samples to see if we can get a closer match to that top stripe.

Last edited by Austen; 02-06-2020 at 10:22 PM.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

I quickly found out that one of the rear hydraulic quick connects was a leaker, a typical thing according to Kevin. So I swapped them out with a set of new from Parker. These are much nicer to use than the old ones which can have a tendency to stick, etc. Let's just say getting the old ones off took some patience!

The brakes needed some attention. The first thing that caught my eye were the springs shown above that were jury-rigged to put tension on the tension plates the adjustment nuts push up against- what'd ya just say? In layman's terms, the adjustment nuts were seized on the threaded rods and one side was cross threaded so I freed up one side with PB blaster, installed a new nut on the other after spending a looong time working the cross threaded one off and finally adjusted the brakes properly. Much better (actual) pedal feel now that both sides are working equally and more importantly, the parking brake holds on an incline now!

On a machine like this, I like to try and put a dab of oil when I can on fasteners when I take them apart to eliminate potential cross threading and or future hardware seizures. Makes things go back together and come apart easier!

Mark / Ohio and Five Points like this.

Last edited by Austen; 02-06-2020 at 10:19 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Austen For This Useful Post:
Mark / Ohio (02-07-2020), quickshot (02-08-2020)
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Figured I'd continue on where I left off; Quickshot is already up to speed though so this will be old news to you.

For some reason, the top portion of the rear frame rails where the 3-point hitch bolts up to were cut out with a torch- shameful! To use the 3-point properly mounted on top and bottom, new new pieces needed to be welded in. I should have done this earlier but it seemed I couldn't part with the tractor for any length of time but it was an absolute necessity so I got it done last week. All in all, at this stage she's pretty much mechanically all up to snuff now.

Before

After

While it was with a welder, I had them cut off the repaired exhaust tip that bugged me which also was partially directed into one of the loader's hydraulic hoses when the bucket was at rest and weld on a new 90-degree tip. The new tip looks much better is now angled slightly further downward from the position it was in before so it no longer turns the one hose black and is not angled too far down to blow dust. Ken and I had discussed doing a muffler redux at some point down the road but this was something I wanted to get done in the short term.

The old horse trailer has been working great as the hauler!

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

We're getting some nice weather which means more seat time! Finally a chance where the ground is dry enough to use the tiller and not make mud pies all over the place.

Fuel line return hose replacement

I replaced the fuel return hoses that were old and cracking from the outside that are on top of the injectors which feed into the main return line that Kevin replaced.

I first went the auto parts store but they didn't have a good factory-like replacement hose. I then remembered I had some carburetor vent hose I had bought a couple of years ago for a vintage KTM dirt bike project and it turns out it was just what I needed. This stuff is really durable compared to the original material. The photo above shows the comparison of the new vs. old hose.

Replaced

I noticed Kevin even replaced the fuel line clamps with new so I following suit using the same style that he did. It's all in the details and it's amazing how far Kevin went with all of this. Thanks again, Kevin.

Alright, let's get reunited with this beast. It's been covered up with a sheet the past few years in the back corner of the garage.

Mine attaches a little differently.

The cutout slot for the tiller/implement driveshaft works perfectly!

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

I've gone back and forth with this and have been keeping a close eye on it and that is the way the pump was mounted. It was hard mounted instead of directly to the axle so that it could pivot with axle. On large frames, the PTO actually travels with the front axle because it's mounted to it in the center, it's kind of an interesting design. Anyway, the axle did in fact flex out fully on both sides as I demonstrated in the earlier video but I knew there was tension on that chain coupler and could feel it when I'd jack the front of the tractor up and flexed the axle out by hand and tried rotating the coupler. Rather than think about that coupler every time I used it worrying about added stress, I contacted a local fab shop I've worked with before and they got a new setup in place in record time thanks to Kevin's helpful pics. They retained the extra cross member piece that the pump was previously mounted on before which is also nice, they did a clean job of it and matched the overall quality or character if you will, to the rest of the loader. I think it is a happier setup now. As the fab shop mentioned, the amount the pump/pto moves with the axle when it is fully rotated is actually not very much. The chain coupler is designed to have some degree of free play movement but I wanted that added tension taken out of it.

Another neat feature of this is that it now acts as a guard around the spinning chain coupler.

Cross member piece retained that the pump was mounted to before. It was trimmed at the bottom where it was previously mounted. Now it goes straight across aside from the notch made for the front hyd couplings.

The fabricator was worried that the original lower belt guard rods that you attach the pump to may not support the pump that well so they upgraded to a bigger size.

Mark / Ohio likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page