Walker T25i Service Engine Light - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
All Other Brands A place for any brand that does not have it's own dedicated forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Walker T25i Service Engine Light

I have a new-to-me 2015 Walker T25i with a little over 1100 hours running a 25hp Kohler Command Pro EFI. The service engine light is on, but is very dim - I can't see it in full daylight and it is only noticeable at dusk or in similar dim lighting conditions. When starting the mower, the light is on full bright and is easily seen even in full sunlight. I checked the ECU codes using the MIL procedure in the engine manual, but there are no codes. Is it normal for this light to be on but very dim all the time? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2020, 09:19 PM

Does the light change brightness with RPM change? If so check the battery voltage, engine running high RPM, should be above 13.6. If not remove the plug at the voltage regulator. Attach the leads to the stator wires. Start the engine and run at full RPM and your digital volt meter should read 66 volts AC. I don't recall what the low end voltage was, because our machines mowed a lot of freshly fertilized lawns, sometimes wet. Fertilizer loves to eat all metals, and causes excessive corrosion on all electrical connections. It gets into the stator and finds a place to eat the copper wire. Our stators were either bad or good, nothing in between.
If the light doesn't change, you may find a bad ground. I found sometimes the wires in the gauge/light fall off their spade connectors. Pull panel away slowly and carefully as Walker doesn't spend any money on extra wire lengths and you have a bunch of wires to stuff back in. Maybe Walker learned this from Echo. (Short blower kill switch ground wire.) If any light is loose, check there first. I've seen the nut that holds the light socket in, drop down and lay across the two lamp wires.
Because your engine is fuel injected, it is extremely important that all connections are very clean. The computer has a very good watertight seal where the connection is made, but those wires run with the others along the frame and by the blower and make a sharp bend. This can be a problem area if the engine or blower have been removed, and the harness isn't routed exactly right. I found this out from lack of factory training. Doooogh. (Homer Simpson)
Check any place a wire terminates to the engine, frame, or the battery. If in doubt, remove and sand both connection points. I'd pull all the relays, shoot carb cleaner into sockets until all grease is gone blow with compressed air. Now the magic! Get a tube of dielectric silicone grease and put a nice fat bead on the socket, push it into the socket with your finger. Do this until it is visible from the back (wire side) of the socket. put another fat bead on, and plug in the relay. Relay should have no discolored pins, if so , replace it.
Lastly, if you plan on keeping, or having to work on it for the person you sold it to, go to your Walker dealer and have all your ser.# and mod.# and D.O.M. and order the "correct" manual for your F.I. model. It has a wiring schematic for the engine computer as well as the rest of the wiring. I copy the schematic and trace wires by using different colors of highlighters.
Hopefully, you will get to the root of your light problem. I'll save the gear box, starter, drive shaft vibration problems and engine removal tips for later. I like Walkers, and I hope they have improved on their electrical harness and connections. Let us know what you find, please.
Ohhhhh, Never drive that machine without the deck installed. You will slide down the seat, grab a hand full of foreword lever, trying to keep from sliding off the front of the seat, and go even faster because your legs are pushing the steering levers foreword. Fastest thinking I've ever done in 2 seconds!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2020, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the thorough reply. I was beginning to think I was the only person to ever have this issue. I will try to get to the things you mentioned, but it might take me a while. Without any codes coming up, this will likely be a winter project. When you say the correct manual with schematics, do you mean the Walker maintenance manual? The digital Operator/Maint manual I have contains no wiring schematics as far as I can see. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 04:29 PM

Sorry for the late reply. The manual I have is called an "illustrated parts list". Mine was printed in 3 of 2000, yours will have a lot of updated info, as well as the newer safety interlock switch numbers.
After some more thought about your light problem, I would look at the relays. Make sure they all have a diode. This prevents a voltage surge when the circuit is opened. Diodes also prevent back feeding, which may be why your light is dim. The schematic on the relay will have a diode symbol between terminals 85 and 86. (Coil terminals.) If the light is on dim without the engine running, try pulling the relays one at a time to see if the light goes out. This will help isolate the circuit that may be back feeding, if it isn't the relay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page