Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum

-   All Other Brands (https://www.mylawnmowerforum.com/forum/105-all-other-brands/)
-   -   Black Max Pressure Washer (https://www.mylawnmowerforum.com/forum/105-all-other-brands/67031-black-max-pressure-washer.html)

dspikes 02-26-2020 03:27 PM

Black Max Pressure Washer

If this is not allowed, please let me know. I don't have a mower question, but I have a small engine question. I'm working on a Black Max pressure washer with a Subaru EA175V motor. When trying to start it, it almost pulls my arm out of the socket! I thought it was the pump, so I pulled the pump, and no change! It pulls fine with the spark plug removed....piston moves freely. Once the spark plug is put back in, it almost pulls my arm off! This is what I've done so far: Checked for spark....good spark. Adjusted the valve clearance (OHV). Cleaned the spark arrestor. I'm thinking that maybe the flywheel key is sheared???? Any other thoughts? Thanks, in advance for the help!

youngmech 02-26-2020 09:36 PM

I'd go with the flywheel key next

Grunt 02-26-2020 11:01 PM

This motor uses a timing CHAIN, do the valves move like they should?

dspikes 02-27-2020 06:53 AM

Well, flywheel key was fine. The valves move freely like they should, and have been adjusted to specs. Still pulling the rope right out of my hand!

dspikes 02-28-2020 07:16 PM

Well, I was able to get the valve lash numbers, but decided on a different path. I was wondering if the spark plug had gotten fouled up. I purchased a new plug and installed it, drained the tank and carb, and it now runs like a champ! Thanks for the input!