Weedeater WE261 clicking when driving - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
All Other Brands A place for any brand that does not have it's own dedicated forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Weedeater WE261 clicking when driving

So I'm working on this Weedeater One WE261 riding mower I picked up a few weeks ago. I see all the horrible reviews on these but they seem to be pretty simple to work on. The Briggs engine runs beautiful, probably the nicest running engine I've had on a mower even though it's small for a rider. It does in fact ride and mow. I tested it out. However, probably from sitting up, when going forward or reverse there's a clicking sound coming from the rear end the whole time it's moving. Similar to the sound a car exhaust leak ticking is. When you hit the brakes and the mower stops so does the sound. I pulled the back cover because I know the chains stretch but these are tight and not hanging. No play in them. All the bare metal under there has surface rust I guess from sitting. I cleaned under there real good and sprayed WD-40 all over the chains and drove it around again. Didn't seem to help. I didn't see anything broken or rubbing. It had a newer belt on it but no numbers on it. I don't know if it's the right one. Is it most likely a chain causing the noise or could I have not seen a bearing that might be bad? I like how simple the rear end is. It's a lot less complicated than the Snapper I have. I didn't want to buy all the chains if I don't need them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 01:17 AM
Administrator

Garage
I just looked up the exploded view after you mentioning all the chains. Never saw one of those like that before. I don't know maybe jack it up and turn the wheels and see if it will make the noise that way?

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

I thought the same thing. I tried to do that but I guess I can't get it spinning fast enough by hand to make the noise noticeable. There's not a whole lot under there. Three chains, a friction disc, and a brake caliper. I noticed a chunk of rubber missing out of the friction disc so it's going to need to be changed. May as well replace everything since it appears the whole thing has to be disassembled to get to the disc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 01:05 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh23g3g View Post
... I noticed a chunk of rubber missing out of the friction disc so it's going to need to be changed. ..

Wonder if that missing chunk of rubber could be the cause? Maybe it is throwing things out of alignment enough or slips a little to send kind of a jolt or slight jerk through the drive train to cause the noise?

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page