My Lawnmower Forum banner

Roper Lawn Tractor

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Bambamshere 
#1 ·
Ok so I have this roper riding lawn mower. I just finished putting a new gasket kit it ans new soliniod. Now It started right back up but when I do it runs fine one minute and then it looses all power then comes back and runs fine. This happens every 20 or so seconds.

Anyone know what I could check. New sparkplug was also put in it. Could it be the Carb or a spark problem. Seems like same thing going on with my snowblower.

It has a 11hp Briggs and Stratton

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Fuel has water in it I bet.

#6 ·
Sorry it took a bit to get back. I also have a 1956 Dodge Fargo that needed my attention lol. Lot.of projects not a lot.of time.

Anyways I cleaned the jets the other day. They were really gummed up. Started it back up and was trying to play with lower need valve and it wouldn't move after being put back on. Plus the throttle lever was just bouncing around and surging quite a bit.

I probably do need to rebuild the carb.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Ok so I know this is a old post but for some reason. The site is telling me that I don't have enough permission to make a different post.

Anyways I still have this roper riding lawn mower. I have cleaned everything and rebuilt carb and engine. This motor is still surging as before. And not sure why. The carb is up above and the motor is a 11 horsepower Briggs and Stratton thanks

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

#9 ·
I have the same carb on a couple engines. I always use the highest test, non ethanol gas I can find in all small engines to eliminate that gumming problem most folks have. Since you have already cleaned the carburetor, how is the float set? Instructions say level with the top of carburetor top, when turned upside down. I have found through much aggravation, that the float should be set where it will be a little low when assembled, or, when checked, instead of level, at a slight angle, with the edge away from the needle being higher than the needle side. Adjust mixture as required with the bottom needle. PM if you want pics, will have to take a carb apart to take pics

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.