Weedeater One WE261 kicking my butt won't start need help! - Page 2 - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
All Other Brands A place for any brand that does not have it's own dedicated forum

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 03:40 PM

i believe that machine has a plastic cam gear & lobes...so a busted one is certainly a possibility if the push rods, rockers & valves move freely. (

)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccat View Post
i believe that machine has a plastic cam gear & lobes...so a busted one is certainly a possibility if the push rods, rockers & valves move freely. (Briggs and Stratton 694039)
They move freely if I push on them with my fingers. If I turn the motor over with the pull rope neither of them move at all nothing moves while the engine is cranking. Everything sitting still like the crank is broken in half or something.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 06:55 PM

I would check out the kill switch -- see if the engine runs with the kill switch disabled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Palumbo View Post
They move freely if I push on them with my fingers. If I turn the motor over with the pull rope neither of them move at all nothing moves while the engine is cranking. Everything sitting still like the crank is broken in half or something.
I doubt that your crankshaft is broken; when you remove the plug, can you see the piston moving in/out?

Here's a good video explaining how these plastic cams can crap-out on ya:
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccat View Post
I doubt that your crankshaft is broken; when you remove the plug, can you see the piston moving in/out?

Here's a good video explaining how these plastic cams can crap-out on ya: Briggs Plastic Cam Gear.
I sat a 1/4 drive long extension in the spark plug hole and turned the flywheel with my hand and the piston goes in and out as expected.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 11:39 PM

Try removing the valves and cleaning the guides and vales stems. Use a bore cleaning brush for a rifle of the correct size. And run the valve stems and a wire wheel. Can you see the lifter moving?
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 11:45 PM

Before pulling the head...Maybe just put pressure with your hand on the push rods, one at a time...while slowly pulling the recoil.....you need to feel them lift up maybe 1/2 "...If not, you will need a new camshaft....and no need to pull the head just now...
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 12:49 AM

I'm sure you know this because it seems like you've used the mower a few times before. But I just picked my first WE261 up a few weeks ago. It appeared to have been another one that was used a few times and sat outside. All I had to do was put a plug in it, check the gaps on the alternator, coil, and replace the carburetor. It cost about $15 total. I didn't even need to change the oil. When I got it from the previous owner he showed me it cranked without the key when gas was put it in the carb. I took it home and replaced all that and then I couldn't get it to fire. It wasn't showing any spark or if it was I couldn't see it in the tester. I finally charged up the little battery and it cranked over with the key and me sitting in the seat with the pedal pushed down. But I still couldn't pull start it. Turned out I didn't realize that the parking brake had to be pushed and locked in to pull start it. Not saying that's what's going on with yours but I couldn't believe that's what happened with mine. It runs perfect, first pull, riding perfect is another story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page