I've used forums very similar to this one to help me out with many different issues that I've had with various things in the past (small engines, vehicles etc) and have always found the people on them to be extremely knowledgeable and friendly so I'm hoping that my luck with these will continue.
I recently purchased a 2006 Troy Bilt Pony 42" deck (It says pony on the side but is not the same as the Pony sold currently). The model number is 13AN77TG766 233644
I paid 200 bucks for it from a friend in non working condition. I replaced the bowl gasket and cleaned the carb to get it running fairly well engine wise. PTO wise is a different story.
When I first bought the mower I thought that the PTO cable was bad (as it had broken and been rigged up by my friend) , so I replaced it and nothing really changed. The newer PTO Cable seemed longer but again still pulls it to the extent of the pulleys.
I decided then to take the deck off and replace the belt. I replaced the belt with a new one from lowes and it mowed fine, ONCE. Since then I've put the mower away and now its time to mow again but the PTO does not engage when pushed down. Here are a couple of the key points to note about the mower and what might be causing it.
1. The belt that I bought is a 107cm 42" belt. The package said "For 42" Deep Deck 700 Series Tractors 2005 & After for the above models (which included troy bilt)". Normally I would say that perhaps I bought the wrong belt, but since it worked fine for one full mow (about an hour and a half), I would think this wouldn't be a problem (I've been wrong before though...)
2. The PTO is very finicky as to where it will go to start up & go in reverse. If it is not EXACTLY in one spot (just ahead of all the way back) it will shut off.
3. The Belt does NOT get completely tight when pulled on the PTO. Now I stated before that it cut fine for one time mowing. While it was mowing I didn't bother to look at the tension on the belt.
4. The belt is loose when not engaged. In fact it can go off the main drive pulley under the engine.
5. The parking brake doesn't work, the actual brakes do though. I don't think this could be related but I thought I'd mention it.
Is there any way to tighten the belt using the pulleys on the deck? This is the only thing I can figure is the problem with the mower currently. I'm probably missing something obvious so if I am please let me know! ANY help at all would be appreciated. Thank so much and have a great day!