and again - my never used brand new Gravely ZT won't start-crank over ? - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Lawnmower Reviews Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

ZTR and Commercial As the lawns get bigger, so do the machines used to keep them looking good!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 08:15 PM   post #1 of 12 (permalink)

Default and again - my never used brand new Gravely ZT won't start-crank over ?

This is like my own personal forum since I have posted so much in just a couple of days
just bought a new Gravely ZT 50 (915150). Pulled it off the trailer, drove it into my heated garage and parked it.
I started it up once after that, cranked right up.
Got a mulching kit (which is just a baffle so not sure why they say kit). I pulled the deck off to install it. Not really sure I pulled it off correctly, but the only thing I "disconnected" was the pto belt. basically took off 4 bolts, cotter keys and dropped the deck.
I put the deck back on today.
It was in the high 40's, so thought I would go practice driving as I had an hour or 2 of light left.
I sat on the mower. I engaged the parking brake, which means I pull the lever back towards me. When engaged it locks the steering controls so there is no doubt it is engaged.
Sitting on it, I then hit the key - nothing, no click or anything.
Figured I missed something, tried it a few more times, nada. Pulled out the manual, read it again, tried it again - nada.
I did insure the PTO was off.
Maybe I left the key on. Checked the battery with a meter - read 12.xx volts.
Well, let's charge it anyway to be sure.
Put it on the charger, few minutes later the charger clicked off as the battery was at full charge.
Nothing.
If I engage the PTO with the key on, it makes a real loud click, so that is getting power.
Looked around for a fuse but did not see anything anywhere. I took a break to eat and am headed back out to look by the key area to look for a fuse there.

Seems simple, and I would guess it is me.....but I sit on the mower, I engage the parking brake, which means the controls are locked in neutrral, I hit the key and get nothing....not even a click.

Am I missing something ?
I am obviously going to the dealer tomorrow, but thought maybe I am over looking something.
Thanks........
donberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 10:40 PM   post #2 of 12 (permalink)
Administrator

Did you accidentally unplug something when you took the deck off to put your mulching kit on?

If worse comes to worse it should be covered under warranty. I may have missed it but did you buy from a box store or from a dealer?
Five Points is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:08 PM   post #3 of 12 (permalink)

I bought it from a dealer. Didn't know box stores sold the Gravely.
I didn't purposefully unplug anything when I removed the deck. Doesn't seem like there is anything there to unplug, tho as I have never done it before, who knows. I don;t see any loose plugs anyway
Yea, I will have to go see the dealer. Is just a hassle tho as I need to go borrow my son's trailer - mine wasn't wide enough for the 50".
Was sort of hoping I was just missing something. Sure seems like an interlock problem

Last edited by donberry; 01-27-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:41 PM   post #4 of 12 (permalink)
Administrator

Recently had Gravely ZT loaner from the race track (my brother works there). Same problem.

It seems that your problem is in the operator area and is a safety procedure being overlooked. Our problem was the seat belt needed to be secured and closed.

Hope it's something simple.
Mark777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:10 AM   post #5 of 12 (permalink)

I do agree, but I sure can't figure it out. Seems pretty basic on this -from the manual -
"Disengage the PTO, place thesteering levers in neutral, and engage the
parking brake prior to starting the engine.1. If the engine is cold apply choke. If theengine is warm or hot, do not use choke.See “Throttle/Choke Lever” on page 14.2. Put the ignition key in the switch and turn it to the Start position."

I thought maybe a defective seat switch, but I checked it with a meter and it works fine. I am going to have to go get the trailer and take it in. I am going to take a wild guess and say either the parking brake switch .
Probably end up being something I did

Is a bummer - tomorrow is 67 degrees out. I did not want to spend it getting the trailer and hauling in a new mower
Old 01-28-2013, 12:49 AM   post #6 of 12 (permalink)
Administrator

On the plus side better to get any faulty parts taken care of now rather then just after the warranty runs out.

Like MLF on Facebook
Mark / Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:08 PM   post #7 of 12 (permalink)

well, loaded it up and took it in. The mechanic was out to lunch so the salesman came out to try and start it.....nothing.
Left to grab some lunch and came back a little later. The mechanic walked out, hit the key - nothing. He then reaches under the frame area where the parking brake sensors are, didn't look like he actually did anything, was just a few seconds, hit the key and it cranked right up.
He played around with it for a bit and could not get it to not start again.....
said if it happens again to bring it back.
I guess there are a couple of "flappers" under there that have to do with the safety switch. He wouldn;t say so, but I am guessing one got stuck or something....who knows

Is running fine. I did play around with it some and cut a little grass. Going to take some getting used to on the trimming. Is more about me because my head does not turn so I am sort of cutting "blind", but with a traditional riding mower I could see the front of the deck easier and using the steering wheel, twist around enough to see the sides of the deck. In just the few minutes I played with it today, I couldn't do that as there is obviously no steering wheel for me to grab on.
I am pretty sure once I get more familiar with it I can figure that part out.
One thing I did notice is that with the mulching baffle on, grass was blowing everywhere, surprised me a little.
On my Deere, a traditional mower, with the mulching cap on there was very little grass blowing around. Seemed to be a lot with this. I had the mower set at 3" and while the grass was dry, there were quite a few leaves down that were damp. At the 3", it didn't pick up most of the leaves......
I will play around more and give my thoughts in a different thread.
Thanks for the help on the starting issue./
Old 01-28-2013, 04:57 PM   post #8 of 12 (permalink)
Administrator

I'm very glad it was something simple. Even if you're not sure what it was, you have the option to 'fiddle' around a bit if it ever happens again.
Mark777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:06 PM   post #9 of 12 (permalink)

yea, I am not worried about it, just one of those things. Dealer was great and told me to bring it in if it happened again and they would take a harder look (I am guessing replace the parking brake interlocks) but I am going to take a wild guess and say I doubt it ever causes a problem again.
just bad timing - I was taking her out for her 1st spin
I will say, that kawasaki engine cranks right up. It has been in a garage that I keep around 45 degrees or so, but pull the choke and she fires up instantly.
Hope it stays that way. Is the main reason I went to this price range.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:26 PM   post #10 of 12 (permalink)
Administrator

Thanks for the update. I like the Kaw engines, have one in my Z810A JD. Runs strong and reliable. Glad you got some seat time and look forward to your next thread with your review now that she's running and your getting use to her.
Five Points is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement