Dead Hour Meter on Cub Cadet RZT54 KW - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Lawnmower Reviews Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

ZTR and Commercial As the lawns get bigger, so do the machines used to keep them looking good!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012, 09:43 AM   post #1 of 8 (permalink)

Default Dead Hour Meter on Cub Cadet RZT54 KW

Hey guys, I just acquired my CC RZT54 KW used. I'm told that it has about 200-250 hours on it, but the hour meter doesn't work. It seems like a bit of a rare problem that something like that would cease working, so I'm wondering if something else could be the cause.

The previous owner disconnected both the Reverse PTO safety cut-off switch, and the seat safety cut-off switch, because he wanted to mow backwards, and be able to jump off the mower while the blades are engaged.....which is a little fool-hardy if you ask me.

The question is, could disconnecting these switches have un-knowingly also deactivated the hour meter......or could my meter just actually be dead?

Thanks!
BarryCripps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 03:10 PM   post #2 of 8 (permalink)
Administrator

I would strongly suspect that the cut-in a bypassing of the safety switches has much to do with the tachometer not working.

I just acquired a Kubota G1800 (diesel) lawn tractor and the previous owner did the same thing. Bypassed everything. The temp and tach are non-op. And, if you disconnect the control module (as you're supposed to do when charging the battery), the engine will not shut off . I'm proposing that just by bypassing one or two things causes a ripple effect in other areas of your machine.
Mark777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:27 PM   post #3 of 8 (permalink)

Thanks for the input Mark!

Well, the reverse safety switches are bridged properly, otherwise the blades would never turn, so I don't think it's anything to do with them....

However, the seat switch is confusing me. It's one of the older kinds, that are basically two metal blades that are pushed together when the seat is raised, and are apart when the someone is sitting in the seat. Simple electronics dictates that a switch has to have two wires.....but I can't find the second wire.

There is a yellow/black wire sticking up out of a hole right next to the switch....which was obviously one of the two.....but I can't locate another one.....or even find where another wire would connect back to.

I've looked online for a wiring diagram, but I'm coming up short. The diagram in the service manual is too simplistic really. Anyone else familiar with this setup?

Can someone look and see if their mower has the answer I'm looking for? Thanks!
Old 06-05-2012, 11:56 PM   post #4 of 8 (permalink)
Administrator

I found a wiring diagram for a RZT54. The seat switch uses frame ground on one side. So it is probably ground through the steel in the seat on one side. Just connecting the wire you found (yellow/black) back up to the ungrounded side of the switch should do the trick. See page 6 of this manual for Model year 2010 and later for the electrical:

Cub Cadet Parts Manual For Model RZT54 Kawasaki 2010 and After pdf free ebook download from www.mymowerparts.com

They do not really show the direct connections to the hour meter. I think most just run the 12 volt out of the key switch in the "on" position to the meter. By this diagram I would first check for 12 volts into pin 8 with the key in the run position.

If you need an operators manual you can probably find it here:

Customer Service - Cub Cadet

Here's the hour meter they show for the model above but you will want to verify yours is the same:

METER:IND:HOUR SVC MNDR:NO LBL - 925-04022B

Looks like it also has a built into it in at least the 2011 models a battery level, oil pressure, and PTO and parking brake position indicators.

Like MLF on Facebook

Last edited by Mark / Ohio; 06-05-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Mark / Ohio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:34 PM   post #5 of 8 (permalink)

Thanks for all the info Mark! Yeah, the "frame ground" makes sense.

One of my friends has exactly the same mower, so I asked him to take a photo of his seat switch for me, and sure enough, it was a single wire just like mine.

Of course the down-side to that is that more than likely there's something actually wrong with my hour meter. I'll try the 12v check that you suggested tonight.

Yes, the meter does also display those other status lights you mentioned.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:45 PM   post #6 of 8 (permalink)
Administrator

Do the indicators light up?

Maybe you'll get lucky and the plug will just be loose on the meter assembly.

Like MLF on Facebook
Old 06-09-2012, 03:56 PM   post #7 of 8 (permalink)

UPDATE:

So I yanked out the old Hour Meter, and stuck in a new one, and it works like a charm. I guess sometimes they do just go bad. Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 06-10-2012, 12:38 AM   post #8 of 8 (permalink)
Administrator

Glad to hear you have it fixed Barry and thanks for letting us know the resolution.

Like MLF on Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement