17 HP B&S Backfire - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Lawnmower Reviews Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Small Engine Repair Discussion Talk about issues or tips you may have for others regarding small engine repairs.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2010, 10:28 AM   post #1 of 3 (permalink)
Pat

Default 17 HP B&S Backfire

Hi,

I have a Murray Wide Body with the B&S 17 HP Twin II I/C Model # 42A707. For the past 2 years this thing has been back firing when I shut it down. Before shutting it off I wait for approx 1 minute at the lowest idle with the blades disengaged. That does not help. I have checked and the choke appears to be fully open. I can tell when it is going to back fire because the engine when nothing is engaged will idle up and down on it's own.

What I have done.....I was told by an older gentleman down the road that Briggs had a carb problem with this series of engine. He told me to loosen the screws holding the float bowl to the carb, then push the bowl as far forward as possible, then tighten the screws. This seems to work every time, but I do not know why, or what the real problem is. Anyone know what might be going on with this thing...........thanks.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 01:30 PM   post #2 of 3 (permalink)

If the engine is running a little rough. Adjust the valves (use owner mnual),then remove carborator and blow through ports and all openings with air (gently)replace carb on engine and see if this helps. If not then it is probably time to rebuild or replace carb.
Hope this helps!
Doorkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:12 AM   post #3 of 3 (permalink)
Administrator

If it's one with a fuel solenoid valve on the carb, I think those are supposed to be shutdown at mid throttle. Might double check your manual and see which method it recommends.

Like MLF on Facebook
Mark / Ohio is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement