17.5 Briggs & Stratton overhaul? - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Lawnmower Reviews Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Small Engine Repair Discussion Talk about issues or tips you may have for others regarding small engine repairs.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2012, 09:53 PM   post #1 of 3 (permalink)

Default 17.5 Briggs & Stratton overhaul?

i am new here and hoping to find some information. I have a Craftsman LT1000 Riding Mower. It has a single cyliinder 17.5 Briggs and stratton. The mower was given to me by my grandparents when i bought my first home which was last year. The mower is kind of old and looks like it sat out in the weather. When i got it, it was smoking slightly so i kept oil in it just to make it through the summer. well this season it did the same thing but recently it has became much worse. It was so bad it would get choked down and would just bellow out a ton of thick blue smoke. Really embarrassing. Well i decided to pull the motor and attempt to overhaul it because buying a new mower is way out of my budget at the moment. Besides being less expensive it would be a great way to experience a small engines rebuild. I got as far as pulling the head and decided to seek more information before diving into it any further.

So my question is does anyone offer a complete overhaul kit for this engine? The B&S website offers the overhaul parts but i truthfully don't know what i need to successfully complete a build. Basically i don't want to buy something i don't need.

This is whats stated on the rocker arm/valve cover.
The engine model:31c707
The engine type:0130E1
The engine code:0303309ZD

Last edited by speedy; 04-22-2012 at 10:00 PM.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 01:11 AM   post #2 of 3 (permalink)
Administrator

Just wanted to say welcome to the forum speedy!
I'll defer the questions to someone who has "been there, done that" on one of these engines. But having made that disclaimer it does look like there is a gasket set for it. Probably be one good thing to have in hand along with a piston ring set. As for what else kind of depends on what you find once you dig deeper into it.

Parts and Diagrams for Briggs and Stratton 31C707-0154-E1

Also you might want to checkout the small engine section over at our big brother site: Tractor Forum : MyTractorForum.Com Tractor Forums

There's a number of guys over there that have been through about any engine you can imagine.

Like MLF on Facebook
Mark / Ohio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:45 PM   post #3 of 3 (permalink)

Thank you Mark for the welcome and the info.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement