S1742 throws belt - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

S1742 throws belt

I don't know which John Deere this is based on. Do you? Thought I might be able to widen my search that way.

I was tasked with this repair; the blade belt was already off. After installing, I cut some grass OK but the belt never fully disengaged with the lever, which made cranking difficult.

Afterwards I noticed I'd installed the belt twisted. Fixed that; belt was now looser but still would not fully disengage with lever and it came off when I cut the engine.

Overall, the belt looks loose and yet won't fully disengage. What's going on? I can't find anything obvious with the idlers and the spindles don't wobble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 03:58 PM

Perhaps the first thing you need to do is get a new belt if the age is unknown.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 06:12 PM

https://www.deere.com/common/docs/st...1742-S2046.pdf
There is some adjustment in the tension rod that connects to the blade drive rod. Look at pdf page 37, Deere manual page 33.
Maybe previous owner maxed out the adjust too tight? Belt routing pdf page 39, Deere manual page 35. Without seeing it, it sounds like you may have the belt routed around the outside of a belt keeper/finger somewhere. Make sure the belt is inside the belt keeper at the PTO sheave (top left picture on same page as belt routing).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Yes I wondered about belt health since there's not a very pronounced "vee" shape about it, but having never seen one new, wasn't sure what it should look like or if that's relevant here. I guess I thought belts just work until they break one day. I did make sure the belt was inside the keepers.

For some reason I assumed Scotts would be the source for this, even with the Deere connection. I shoulda looked!

Thank you both!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

I printed the relevant pages from the manual re: belt tension and so on and took it out to the mower.

There's no tension rod adjuster. Somebody's modified this thing, it would seem, so I'm done.

The blade engagement lever pulls a cable with a spring that pulls a small idler closer. That tightens the belt so that the blades can spin, except when the lever's the other way the belt is so loose it falls off, assuming the larger idler that looks a little cockeyed isn't a contributing factor. I see no cable length adjuster to permit the belt to be tighter when at rest.

I also saw what looked like a spindle brake on the wrong side of its spindle, almost acting like a belt keeper. Someone would have had to remove either it or the spindle to locate it on the opposite spindle side. So again, I'm all done here.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 02:09 PM

The cable hooked to the deck sounds just like my old JD L110. There was a bracket that held the cable sheath end in a slot. The bracket was bolted to the deck with two little bolts. The bracket holes were slotted and allowed adjustment of the cable closer to or further.
Does the deck setup look more like this:
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 10:53 PM

That is probably a Murray made tractor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page