Honda HR215 Masters Oil Leak - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ericjr16

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Honda HR215 Masters Oil Leak

I recently obtained a Honda HR215 SX Masters mower. It works great but I discovered an oil leak. I cleaned the engine very thoroughly and then ran it to locate the exact point of leakage. The oil leaked from the bottom of the oil fill tube so I replaced the lower "O"-ring which stopped that leak. However, I then noticed some oil on the upper portion of the engine which must be leaking from the top of the engine. It appears that this oil might be leaking through the crankshaft oil seal at the top of the engine. I must remove the flywheel to more closely inspect to see if there's oil around the crankshaft, and if so, then the oil seal is probably leaking.

1) So far, I've progressed to the point of removing the nut which holds on the flywheel, using an air impact wrench. The next step is to remove the flywheel itself, and here's where I would appreciate some advice. My plan is to borrow my cousin's 3-arm universal puller which has "J" hooks at the end of each arm, which should grab onto the under edge of the flywheel while turning the center bolt against the crankshaft. Is this the best tool to use? Are there any other suggestions for the flywheel removal? Also - must the ignition magneto, which is very close to the flywheel, be removed 1st?

2) When reinstalling the flywheel, what torque should the flywheel hold down nut be tightened to? Also, what's the best method to prevent the crankshaft from rotating while torque-ing down the nut?

I'll be out-of-town for 2-weeks starting in 2-days, so I won't be resuming this project, nor reading any comments in this thread, until I return. Any helpful suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Hi I would take magneto off for safety so you don't risk it! A way we take flywheels off tractors might work, put bolt back on crank but without washer. Then hit top of bolt with hammer, flywheel should pop off fairly easy!
quickshot likes this.

John Deere 180 with bagger
1997 John Deere 345
1980 Wheel Horse C-85
1967 Sears Suburban SS10
1971 Bolens 1256
1996 Craftsman GT6000
Craftsman 9HP snow blower
Honda HRB215SDA mower
Change is the normal with my tractor list!
John 3:16 Psalm 28:7 1 Corinthians 15:57
"Complain and remain, praise and be raised! "

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericjr16 View Post
Hi I would take magneto off for safety so you don't risk it! A way we take flywheels off tractors might work, put bolt back on crank but without washer. Then hit top of bolt with hammer, flywheel should pop off fairly easy!

This method has worked for me on a few engines, but as Eric suggested, make sure you protect the threads of the crank with the nut before hitting the top and persuading the mag off the crank...

I'm not sure of the torque value on that nut, but you can hold onto the blade while torqueing the magneto nut. I'm sure someone will chime in with the values. Have a safe trip!

2 Cycle Power Products Fanatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 09:17 PM

Unless you have just the right size 3-arm puller, a 2-arm puller works better on the HR flywheels. There are two open spots on opposite sides of the mower that don't require removing the gas tank or coil (unless you have a SMA toothed flywheel, which will definitely require coil removal) that will give a good grip on the flywheel. If you take off the tank and coil, a 3-arm puller will work fine. Just avoid pulling near the magnet.

The flywheel bolt torque is 50.6-57.9 ft-lbs. However, I have always just used an impact wrench for 4 strokes after it stops spinning. I use the same technique on the three clutch/blade bolts on the bottom end.

If you insist on torquing the flywheel bolt, remove the plug and drop a piece of soft rope down into the cylinder, then turn the crank until the piston jams against the rope in the cylinder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page