HR215HXA transmission ... only high speed works! - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

HR215HXA transmission ... only high speed works!

I've Googled. I've YouTubed. I ... registered here.

The only "speed" the thing travels is at the fastest speed. And as much as I need the exercise, sometime I'd like to be able to slow it down.

I stuck the end of a plastic zip tie down into the tranny. About 3/4" to 1" of fluid did I see on the "stick."

I tried adjusting the relevant cable. I managed to make the mower crawl upon starting with no levers engaged, OK, too much.

I backed it off so that it wouldn't immediately begin moving when starting and currently it "jerks" when engaging the blade-and-then-drive function. Maybe I'll back it off some more later.

Whatever, the "high speed only" aspect still remains.

Now what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Mea Culpa.

After some time, I took another look at the issue for (actually, the two!) HR215HXAs I own.

Long story short, it WAS the cable that needed adjustment ...

Short story long ...

For whatever reason, the official instructions (in my owners manual, no less) didn't work for me. Either that or I misunderstood them. Probably the latter. See? I can't even be bothered to re-read them again before posting a followup here.

My notes, observations, and "what worked" for me (and, you?)

When the blade and transmission engagement levers are both at rest, moving the orange trans speed lever really does nothing to the cable. Engaging both blade and transmission levers, and THEN the orange trans speed lever, moves the cable.

The entire range of creeping through sprinting is done by moving the trans arm (the one down on the trans itself) no more than about 1/2" (and probably less!) of travel.

So that was learning. Applying meant loosening the cable to open up more of the low speed range. I was able to do that for each mower, but only after making the adjustment, starting the engine to test the speed, turning it off and re-adjusting.

What happens is that each time you do that, the cable tightens up. I suppose you could loosen it a whole bunch the first time, but all of this is trial-and-error anyway, because ...

... You're supposed to align the marks at the trans arm and the trans housing. But this is actually a fine adjustment, so "marks aligned," but the lines are a good 1/8" thick, may or may not actually result in enough slowness on the slow end of the scale for you.

I like mine adjusted so that the slowest speed is barely a creep! That way, when you're angling around a bush or tree, or burrowing through some tough stuff, you can just crawl around it if you need to. I still have plenty of speed on the top end.
The Following User Says Thank You to deckeda For This Useful Post:
Mark / Ohio (06-16-2017)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 11:36 PM
Administrator

Thanks for letting us know what you found!

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark / Ohio View Post
Thanks for letting us know what you found!
I should have known ... oftentimes, coming back and re-thinking a problem with fresh eyes the next day or so creates little epiphanies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page