Husqvarna vs Ariens - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
Lawn Mower Main Forum This is the main MyLawnMower Forum discussion forum. Here you can discuss the latest lawnmowers, and other lawn care machinery.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Husqvarna vs Ariens

Alright there was a post over on snowblowerforums regarding who makes what. I'm beginning to think that my Ariens razor mower could very well be a Husq. Very depressing. I know that Ariens builds their own snowblowers but did Ariens outsource to Husq for some or all of their mowers? Take a look at the products page of both and tell me what you think.. HUSQVARNA push mowers, awd, walk behind, and commercial lawn mowers https://www.ariens.com/en-us/lawn-products
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 10:37 PM
Administrator

Least as far as the push mowers, they don't look like the same manufacture to me.

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 09:55 AM

I'm not seeing a similarity myself... I've normally got a good eye for spotting machines from different manufacturers that look too close to not be related. For instance my first new rider MTD GOLD was a Cub Cadet LTX series, Today the Craftsman Pro looks identical with the mechanics and layout as the new XT series Cub. Poulan Pro and Ariens are very close. Either one is made by the other or they're cousins.

2009 John Deere X300 38" Deck K46 tranny
Troy-bilt 25cc String Trimmer
Stihl BG-55 Gas Blower
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 07:33 PM

Compare the engines and other components for repair part crossovers; for instance my Troy Bilt XP Horse 20 hp (that I recently bought) uses the same rebuild kit for the deck (spindles, blades, belt) as Cub Cadet and Craftsman and the Courage engine is used in both (and many other brands including Husqvarna, Ariens ) it also was running Carlisle tires, which is a decent brand . Because of that it was a no brainer to buy it over the other brands as it was last years model discounted to $997 (from $1399) and a 11% rebate from Lowes all of which made it much lower than either of the other two.
Try this experiment: enter Tuff Torq into your browser then add an J (John Deere) then a C (Cub Cadet) then H (Husqvarna); it appears these (and many others) use them for their hydro-static drives.
Even though they may be made in different plants, if they are using many of the same parts and major components such as engines and hydro-static drives are made by just a few manufacturers (or just one in the case of the hydro-stats); does the sheetmetal really make a difference?
I'm reminded of the farmer who only would only buy GoodYear tractor tires and just hated Titan Tractor tires even though Titan has a tire plant here in Iowa. He was quite upset being shown that, right on the tire underneath the big GoodYear name, it was made by Titan.

Last edited by scocope; 06-02-2017 at 08:48 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I am pretty sure AYP ( Husqvarna parent co ) is not a part of the Ariens co which is now Gravely owned I think.

John Deere 180 with bagger
1997 John Deere 345
1980 Wheel Horse C-85
1967 Sears Suburban SS10
1971 Bolens 1256
1996 Craftsman GT6000
Craftsman 9HP snow blower
Honda HRB215SDA mower
Change is the normal with my tractor list!
John 3:16 Psalm 28:7 1 Corinthians 15:57
"Complain and remain, praise and be raised! "

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Nope. Gravy is a division of Ariens. Ariens owns em.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Husqvarna vs Ariens

Gravy? lol I know what ya mean!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Deere 180 with bagger
1997 John Deere 345
1980 Wheel Horse C-85
1967 Sears Suburban SS10
1971 Bolens 1256
1996 Craftsman GT6000
Craftsman 9HP snow blower
Honda HRB215SDA mower
Change is the normal with my tractor list!
John 3:16 Psalm 28:7 1 Corinthians 15:57
"Complain and remain, praise and be raised! "

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 11:26 PM
Administrator

I've kind of gave up trying to keep up with who owns or builds what. It changes so fast anymore and it's not just OPE. Home appliances and electronics are the same way. Power tools is another one I think. Just because there is an old name on the front from years past does not necessarily mean it is not owned by some company you have no idea about. The rights to use old Brand names of the past are sold like business. Westinghouse is one big one that comes to mind first although the list is almost endless. Oh look it's a Westinghouse TV. Must be good with an old name like that on it. They helped bring electrification to houses, then built appliances to use the electric and even helped build trains with air compressors and brakes!

Funai, founded in 1961 in Japan was the last one I recall with the rights to use that name on their products.

TV Brands Aren't Always What They Seem - Consumer Reports

Edit: Actually after reading in full the article I linked to, now they are made by TongFang from China.

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

Last edited by Mark / Ohio; 06-03-2017 at 11:32 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 06:52 AM

The Following User Says Thank You to gner For This Useful Post:
Mark / Ohio (06-04-2017)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 02:42 PM

I know five years ago, Craftsman, Ariens, Poulan and Husqvarna were all made by AYP. Craftsman now ( at least the lower end models) is made by MTD...not sure about Ariens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page