Ferris Mowers..? - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Lawnmower Reviews Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Lawn Mower Main Forum This is the main MyLawnMower Forum discussion forum. Here you can discuss the latest lawnmowers, and other lawn care machinery.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2013, 09:06 AM   post #1 of 4 (permalink)

Default Ferris Mowers..?

didnt get many responses on the bobcat/dixie chop post.. so i want to inquire about ferris.. my local lawnmower dealer recommended the ferris line.. either 1500 or 2000, both 61" deck

i have thick, bahia grass in central florida, and it rains almost every afternoon.. so it grows fast.. im mowing about 5 acres, mostly flat land.. it currently takes 3-4 hours to mow on my cub cadet and have to go slow in thick grass.. i am looking to cut that time down drastically, and cut that thick grass at top speed if possible

any comments on the ferris's capability for speed and power cutting in floridas thick bahia grass? i cant say ive ever heard of ferris.. it be nice to get a little feedback from end users, especially over dixie and bobcat

thanks for the replies!
platinumaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 11:28 AM   post #2 of 4 (permalink)

Ferris has been around for quite a while. I am familiar with them, but they do not cut grass well in excess of 10mph. Some of them can do 15mph, which is far faster than any cub cadet I have ever seen. Most top out around 5-6mph. I have never been to Florida, but if you get that much rain than the ground must be awfully spongy. I would also look at some Scag mowers, like the Cheetah and Tigercat series

Chris
K-TRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:50 PM   post #3 of 4 (permalink)

Ferris mowers have a decent reputation, but I think Scags are built heavier.

God Bless America!
motorhead12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:01 AM   post #4 of 4 (permalink)

i talked to my local lawnmower company.. the 2 i decided between was the hustler fastrac super duty or the ferris i700, both 60".. he recommended the ferris.. i drove it, liked its speed, opted for the high back seat if i go with it.. ferris has the 28 hp briggs stratton commercial turf engine.. the i2000 were a lot more expensive.. the i700 is $6000, another reason i liked the ferris is for the 2 year warranty and the additional 2 years for personal/homeowner use (non commercial)

central florida location.. im mowing bahia grass

does $6000 seem like a fair price?.. and anyone have the 28 hp briggs stratton commercial turf engine?

thanks for the replies!
platinumaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement