Toro 20381 gas cap leak - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Toro 20381 gas cap leak

Just for info I have mowed a couple times already this year with no leaking. I was mowing yesterday and I smelled gas and sure enough the mower was leaking out the cap. To make sure I stopped mowing and got a towel and dried it off and even let it sit for a bit. Started back up and kept an eye on it and it immediately started dripping from the cap. I have a good relationship with my Toro dealer so I called and told him what was going on and he said he would have a new cap by this Tuesday.

What I wondering is could it be something other than the cap. I did read one old post about the filler neck being out of round on a different model so I checked and it appears to be ok. I didn't notice if a seal was ever there or not and can't find any picks online or detailed exploded view of the cap.

It runs just fine, I finished mowing after it started leaking for about 15 minutes.

Has anyone else had this problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 11:37 PM
Administrator

Might be a rubber O-ring in the cap that has either deteriorated or fell out. Usually a gasket of some type in there be it either round or flat.
wh55 likes this.

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Mark I will take a closer look at that after work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Just wanted to let any one that may be watching this or find it in a google search it was the gas cap. I compared the new one to the old one and the only difference was the old one had a little more play in it. They must be a two piece design in order to get it to vent correctly.
Mark / Ohio and wh55 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Duffyjr For This Useful Post:
Mark / Ohio (04-20-2017)
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffyjr View Post
Just wanted to let any one that may be watching this or find it in a google search it was the gas cap. I compared the new one to the old one and the only difference was the old one had a little more play in it. They must be a two piece design in order to get it to vent correctly.
Well the new gas cap worked for about 4 mows (couple hours), then it started leaking again. One thing I noticed is it looked like a little steam or smoke came out from the bottom of the cap, a very little but it was still visible. Is is possible the gas is getting hot? To much pressure building up?

Should the gas be getting hot or warm or should it stay at the ambient temp?
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 11:10 PM
Administrator

The gas will get warm due to it's close proximity to the engine and the radiant heat from it but should be no where near hot enough to steam. The only time I've heard of fuel boiling was in a fuel line that ran too close to a muffler or the cylinder cooling fins of the engine. When that happens you usually get vapor lock and the fuel stops flowing and the engine either dies or will not restart after hot until you let it cool off. More likely what you saw was some vapor venting. Vapors kind of give a similar visual disturbance as looking down a hot paved road on on a mid summer day. As the tank of gas warms up it will expand and push some air and vapor out. Course it is supposed to do that without pushing out liquid along with it. There are some tanks that have a vent separate of the cap in another location. But the parts diagrams I looked at give no indication of any other vents in the tank.

Only other thought I had was maybe there is a burr or crack on the tank where the cap screws on that it is seeping through. Maybe the new cap was tight enough to cover it up at first but now the crack has enlarged enough to allow fuel around the new cap?

Looks like your engine is a Chinese made Loncin by the part number.

Just for your reference you can look up manuals and parts listings for your Toro by model and serial number range here:

https://www.toro.com/en/customer-support

You can then take the manufacture number of the engine and look up a manual for it on the Loncin site as well:

Engine

Looks like your engine is one of LC1P65 xx versions on the couple Toro diagrams I pulled up based on your model.

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Mark. Fortunately it's still under warranty so I'll be stopping by the dealer on the way home.

When I mowed last night it did leak but not as vigorously as the time before more like it was sweating it but it had less gas in the tank this time so I'm guessing it has a hair line crack in it that I can't see as you mentioned.

I will post back when they find out the problem.

Thanks again Mark for your time.
Mark / Ohio likes this.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Update

I ended up taking the mower into the dealer since it's still under warranty, I don't want to mess with anything and take the chance of voiding the warranty.

I did get it to him right after it started leaking at home so he could see it had been leaking. He kept it for a day and called and said he wanted to try a new cap. I got it home and needed to mow and same thing, about 20 minutes into mowing and it started leaking again. This time I took some pictures since he was closed and showed them to him the next day. Looks like they will be replacing the tank next week.

I still think the weird thing about this is when it's happening. Even with a full tank it won't leak at the start of mowing, only after about 20 minutes or so.

Forgot to mention this was the third cap including the original one.
Mark / Ohio and bwhitsonjr like this.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 02:59 PM

Thanks for updating us on the progress so far... 3 caps later and it still leaks. Sheesh!

I can't see there being a problem after the tank is replaced. Keep us posted.

2009 John Deere X300 38" Deck K46 tranny
Troy-bilt 25cc String Trimmer
Stihl BG-55 Gas Blower
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 09:58 AM

Sorry for a dumb comment as I'm not familiar with your particular mower. However, many small engines today have an insert to show the gas fill limit which is considerably below the cap. If you have one and only fill to the bottom of the insert, I can't see how gas would get out of the cap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page