John Deere D110 clicks and won't start engine - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

John Deere D110 clicks and won't start engine

Hi,

My John Deere D110 clicks once when I turn the key to start it and does not start the engine (no engine starting sound at all).

I did maintenance prior to getting this issue: changed oil, air filter, fuel filter, spark plug and the blades. After the maintenance, I could start the engine. When I started cutting the grass, there was a loud sound and a little bit of smoke. I could not start the engine afterwards.

I thought I put too much oil and that's what caused the smoke, so I drained it a bit. I also added fresh gas. I have tried several things already: changed the battery, the starter solenoid and the starter motor. Double checked the spark plug, and looked at the fuse. Somehow I feel that starter motor does not get engaged, but I am not sure why.

What else might be causing my issue? I also checked the safety switches and nothing seems to be loose. Would they disable starter motor?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
How mechanically inclined are you? You might have some terminal engine damage but need to do some work to see for sure. First thing is what engine do you have? If Google is right it is a Briggs Intek. First thing is take spark plug out and use a long screwdriver verify the piston moves. Spin top of engine by hand and see if screwdriver moves as you hold it against the piston. If it moves your rod is intact( Your statement of a loud noise and smoke might point to broken rod.) take your valve cover off. Verify the valves are moving by spinning engine over by hand to see if pushrods move the valves in and out.
Don't get rid of the parts you replaced, most likely they are fine. I hope your issue isn't terminal but sorry to say I have two blown Intek blocks with blown rods. Common issues with them.

John Deere 180 with bagger
1997 John Deere 345
1980 Wheel Horse C-85
1967 Sears Suburban SS10
1971 Bolens 1256
1996 Craftsman GT6000
Craftsman 9HP snow blower
Honda HRB215SDA mower
Change is the normal with my tractor list!
John 3:16 Psalm 28:7 1 Corinthians 15:57
"Complain and remain, praise and be raised! "

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. I am a newbie when it comes to mechanics. You're right. I have Briggs Intek. If the rod is bad, can the engine be repaired without replacing it? I am guessing I have to get the real mechanic to look at it. I don't mind paying for it, but my nearby shop is busy for the next two weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

I tried spinning the engine clockwise manually and it does not spin. Seems like it's stuck. What's the best way to move it w/o breaking it? I have a crowbar, but don't want to apply too much force.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 06:02 PM

Will the blade turn by hand?? Remove the spark plug before attempting.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I can turn blades. They feel stiff but turn.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 10:37 PM
Administrator

The the stiffness would be from the blade brakes with the PTO off. With the blades off and the parking brake set, the tension should be off the two belts to the engine pulley. Try taking hold of the pulley and see if it will turn with the plug out. If it wont or only turns partially and stops, that would indicate a serious internal problem in the engine.

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 10:36 PM

A running engine, a loud sound, a bit of smoke....Doesn't sound too good...Unless you struck something with the blades, and locked the belt ..and smoked the belt....If it fails Mark's above mentioned test on pulley...Time to remove the engine...for further investigation....
Ericjr16 likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestbear77 View Post
I tried spinning the engine clockwise manually and it does not spin. Seems like it's stuck. What's the best way to move it w/o breaking it? I have a crowbar, but don't want to apply too much force.
Don't do it! You have either a broken rod or something jamming the movement of crank, a loose magnet on flywheel, a bolt in piston area? Not sounding very good at moment

John Deere 180 with bagger
1997 John Deere 345
1980 Wheel Horse C-85
1967 Sears Suburban SS10
1971 Bolens 1256
1996 Craftsman GT6000
Craftsman 9HP snow blower
Honda HRB215SDA mower
Change is the normal with my tractor list!
John 3:16 Psalm 28:7 1 Corinthians 15:57
"Complain and remain, praise and be raised! "

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

I had a new motor installed after all. All is good now. Surprising that the motor failed after only three years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Midwestbear77 For This Useful Post:
Mark / Ohio (06-18-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page