Is this a legitimate recall notice? - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By 12GA
  • 1 Post By Austen
  • 1 Post By GLOCKer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Is this a legitimate recall notice?

I just received this email today:

From: Cub Cadet (email@cubcadet.com) Sent: Wed 8/17/16 1:30 P<

Dear John, We sincerely appreciate your recent purchase of a Cub Cadet XT Enduro Series riding lawn mower. At Cub Cadet, we believe in delivering exceptional products that exceed your expectations for strength, performance and quality. We have discovered a component on your unit, a rubber oil drain tube that has the potential to crack and leak. This could result in engine damage.
We would like to offer you a FREE oil change and FREE oil drain warranty service kit, with included pickup and delivery of your unit*. Click here or call 877-428-2349 to find an authorized servicing dealer and schedule your service.
*Please see your dealer for details
This email was sent by: Cub Cadet
P.O. Box 368023 Cleveland, OH, 44136-9722, USA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 04:23 PM

Heck, I'd find a local dealer and give them a call. What's to lose?
Ericjr16 likes this.

John Deere D105
STIHL 021 chainsaw
ECHO PAS-225 string trimmer
Homelite UT 08017-H backpack blower
Troy Bilt Storm 9528 snowblower
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,312 Times in 1,022 Posts
I Google'd the phone number and it leads to their website. Before arranging something online, you could always play it safe with a phone call first to confirm!

https://www.cubcadet.com/equipment/cubcadet/contact-us
Ericjr16 likes this.

"We donít look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever." - 2 Corinthians 4:18 1958 Eclipse 32" Speedway l Restored Eclipse Sulky l 1947 Jacobsen 26" Lawn King Jacobsen 36-A Sulky Restored 1949 Jacobsen 20" Lawn Queen l Honda HRB215 l 1977 Economy Tractor l 1971 Bolens 1886-01
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 09:38 AM

When you click here it looks like the very legitimate Cub Cadet website. It's asking you to choose your local service center. When you click links below it takes you to other pages that are Cub. All signs point to this obviously being very real. My questions is... Where is this drain hose they refer to? On the Kohler Courage engine that your tractor has, I thought it just had a nipple that you connect a hose to and rotate and pull out for the oil to drain??? On my previous model XT2 LX46 with the 21.5hp Kawa it had a dedicated drain hose. I'm scratching my head right now???

If you could shed some light on the drain that your engine incorporates that would solve my query! And like 12GA said just give your local dealer a call and see what they say.

2009 John Deere X300 38" Deck K46 tranny
Troy-bilt 25cc String Trimmer
Stihl BG-55 Gas Blower
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhitsonjr View Post
When you click here it looks like the very legitimate Cub Cadet website. It's asking you to choose your local service center. When you click links below it takes you to other pages that are Cub. All signs point to this obviously being very real. My questions is... Where is this drain hose they refer to? On the Kohler Courage engine that your tractor has, I thought it just had a nipple that you connect a hose to and rotate and pull out for the oil to drain??? On my previous model XT2 LX46 with the 21.5hp Kawa it had a dedicated drain hose. I'm scratching my head right now???

If you could shed some light on the drain that your engine incorporates that would solve my query! And like 12GA said just give your local dealer a call and see what they say.
So it is legit, even though I couldn't confirm this with Cub Cadet themselves. I did use the Cub Cadet website to locate a local dealer and discuss it with them. They are going to order the part, and once it is in, arrange to pick up my mower for the service.

As for the part in question; my Kohler Courage powered XT1 has a hose from which to drain the engine oil with a drain plug at the end. If I remember correctly from my last (and first) oil change, the hose is clipped to the frame; you unclip it, drop it down into your catch container, and then unscrew the drain plug from the end of that to drain the oil.
bwhitsonjr likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCKer View Post
So it is legit, even though I couldn't confirm this with Cub Cadet themselves. I did use the Cub Cadet website to locate a local dealer and discuss it with them. They are going to order the part, and once it is in, arrange to pick up my mower for the service.

As for the part in question; my Kohler Courage powered XT1 has a hose from which to drain the engine oil with a drain plug at the end. If I remember correctly from my last (and first) oil change, the hose is clipped to the frame; you unclip it, drop it down into your catch container, and then unscrew the drain plug from the end of that to drain the oil.
Good for you regarding oil changes... Maybe not so good with regards to the hose possibly leaking. This hose you describe was the same on the 2015 XT2 I had. I thought it was something they only put on the Kawa models. Sounds good to hear the dealer is going to take care of you!

Every other tractor I've had, I've wanted to convert the old style oil drain to that hose. It's so convenient and makes draining the oil a breeze.

Keep us posted on your progress with the part replacement. Thanks!

2009 John Deere X300 38" Deck K46 tranny
Troy-bilt 25cc String Trimmer
Stihl BG-55 Gas Blower
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page