Craftsman safety switches - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Craftsman safety switches

I am working on a craftsman mod# 917.270722 riding lawnmower. I just got it and cant get any power to the starter. I hooked a battery box direct to the starter to turn it over but still would not start untill the parking brake was set and the key is on , it would roll over it just wouldnt start. I cant get it to roll over at all with the key but i can put 12 volts to the soloenoid and the starter will turn. I am not sure what to do next the parking brake switch is working, the deck is off so im not sure about the blade engage switch i checked the seat switch and then bypassed it by hooking the white wires together, i also did this with the engage switch no difference.

Summary the engine will run if i have the key on and the parking brake set but i cannot start it with the key, i put power directly to the starter or soloenoid and it will start. WHAT AM I MISSING!!!!!
gwbarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 12:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Welcome to the forum gwbarm!

Here's the owners manual for it if you don't already have one. Page 58 has a wiring diagram which might be of some help.

http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/lis_...M/98100084.pdf

Could be the ignition switch itself has failed. Your best bet would be to get a voltmeter and following the diagram and wire color codes see if you can pin down why the 12V is not getting to the solenoid from the ignition switch. If you have 12Vdc on the B terminal of the ignition switch but never get 12Vdc on the S terminal in the start position, the switch is most likely bad.

Like MLF on Facebook
Mark / Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the welcome and the reply Mark. Hopefully the switch is the problem.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Founding Administrator

Could also be one of the safeties is either bad or not engaging properly. As Mark said, check your wiring diagrams, then take a voltmeter and test the voltage at the small wire going to your solenoid from the key. You want to see a good voltage when the key is turned to "start" position.

Brad

de KA9WRZ

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Also one thing I did not ask was if you heard any "click" from the solenoid in the start position. If you do measure 12V on the small wire in the start position but don't hear the click that would point to an open coil in the solenoid or bad ground connection on the solenoid. Further as Brad brought up any of those safeties not passing 12V will keep the solenoid from activating. You really need to try and find we're the voltage goes missing.

You know how it often works if you make a guess with 50/50 odds. You loose.

Like MLF on Facebook
Mark / Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all the input it was the ignition switch i cleaned it with contact cleaner and its working great. I got the engine started and it has a definite knock anyone good at diagnosing engine noises.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwbarm View Post
Thanks for all the input it was the ignition switch i cleaned it with contact cleaner and its working great. I got the engine started and it has a definite knock anyone good at diagnosing engine noises.
Sounds like you just diagnosed it: It has a knock.
and to MLF.
themidniteryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement